Newbie With Carb Issues

IAmZen

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
*I just want to state i have searched the forums,google and youtube and have not been able to find my awnser.

So i have a 1981 Xs650sh stock carb.
i rebuild it. Now im trying to put it back on the motor and it doesnt want to go on. Am i supposed to put the boots on the carb or engine first? any help is appreciated.

Boots on the engine. There is a large acorn nut on the cam chain adjuster below where the carbs sit. Remove the nut, makes getting them in easier. They can be a pain to get on, but once you figure out which way to finesse them in it gets easier.

Boots on the engine. There is a large acorn nut on the cam chain adjuster below where the carbs sit. Remove the nut, makes getting them in easier. They can be a pain to get on, but once you figure out which way to finesse them in it gets easier.

Thank you so much im a idiot. Trying to fit a square into a triangle.

Attachments

• IMG_20171023_163631_144.jpg
    IMG_20171023_163631_144.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 294
SImilarly, a shot of silicone spray just before pushing them on the boots.
Be sure your clamps are good and loose.
Warm the boots up with a hairdryer to make them more pliable. Not too hot.

Kneel next to the engine facing the rear of the bike, reach one arm around the front of the engine, grab the side of the carb furthest from you, also grip the near side with your other hand. You now have the leverage to easily pull the carbs into the boots. This works on many bikes, helps to have long arms on the bigger 4 cylinder machines.

The full order is get the carbs in place THEN install the boots on the engine. It is very helpful to have a set of long arm, ball end, allen wrenches, the 5mm is one of my most used tools.

"Kneel next to the engine facing the rear of the bike, reach one arm around the front of the engine, grab the side of the carb furthest from you"

Big Hug !!
Oh, the intimacy we can achieve while fixing these wonderful beasts ! :D

Back