NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

Skip

XS 650 Screwturner
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have tried the NGK Iridiun Spark Plugs?
I put a set in mine this week and I got to say I am pleased with them so far.
Bike sounds crisper and they claim there is a 2 HP gain(which I believe may be streching the truth a bit).
Just curious if anyone else has a opinion.
At $12.00 a piece,they are not cheap,but if they give you a horsepower increase it's certainly worth it to me.

Nope. Single electrode. I think you mean 4 grounds. Single ground too. But instead of a flat, it's a point on the electrode, sort of like a little pin.

- ngk info blurb

- more iridium stuff

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs Feature
More Durability and a Higher Melting Point Than Platinum
Better Center Electrode Anti-Oxidation and Anti-Erosion
Improved Ignition
Superior Anti-Fouling
Lower Required Voltage
New Metal Shell Plating Process for Better Anti-Corrosion

- the tip and electrode are very brittle as you will find out if trying to regap them

On the spark plug issue does anybody index their plugs anymore?
I have been known to have tried it and really found no evidence of any sort of gain whatsoever but hey I could be proven wrong.
Ride like it's stolen
Ride forever
Ride Free.

- do you mean by filing a notch in the electrode to help prevent spark quenching?

17.jpg

18.jpg

I'd be a bit careful touching the electrode as I have found out the hard way how delicate the ceramics on them are.Even buying brand new you can't be 100% sure they have'nt been dropped at some stage.
I once dropped a new plug at night in the shed with low lighting and thought everything was cool as I had just replaced the plugs......Wrong.
Oh well I just put that one down to experience after going thru hell trying to suss it out.
Back to the subject though,indexing is when you get copper washers of different thickness and mark the firing side of the plug so U can see how far to screw it in so that the open side of the plug is facing the piston.
The washers are for spacing as needed.
These new plugs sound like the way to go now.
Take Care.

I'd be a bit careful touching the electrode

- i hear you...but i buy my like this, NGK produce the notched centre electrode, and Denso the other

indexing is when you get copper washers of different thickness and mark the firing side of the plug so U can see how far to screw it in so that the open side of the plug is facing the piston.The washers are for spacing as needed.

- my grandfather showed me how to do that back in the 70s when i was racing motox, had forgotten all about it

Ahem, might not be a good idea to make the plug gap face the piston lol, I think you meant to say face the inlet. One thing is for sure, it's not going to hurt and it costs bugger all............Having said that, I've never done it! :cheers:

I have indexed the spark plugs on my drag car, 468 cu in BB chevy that puts out just over 600 hp. In the quarter mile I gained less than 1/10 of a second ET. Not worth the time and effort in my opinion......... BG

Isn't 1/10th of a second equivalent to like 100lbs?

But yeah, there are much bigger considerations usually. And i'm not sure that the iridium design (more than the fact it's made of iridium or unobtanium or whatever) isn't almost as good.

Jimmy: Did you get the BPR's or BR's? The P (for "protrudes") is part of the better performance too. I noticed local places had the BR7EIX (i think), but no BPR7EIX.

Ahem, might not be a good idea to make the plug gap face the piston lol, I think you meant to say face the inlet. One thing is for sure, it's not going to hurt and it costs bugger all............Having said that, I've never done it! :cheers:

The open side needs to be facing the combustion chamber.

But yeah, there are much bigger considerations usually. And i'm not sure that the iridium design (more than the fact it's made of iridium or unobtanium or whatever) isn't almost as good.

Jimmy: Did you get the BPR's or BR's? The P (for "protrudes") is part of the better performance too. I noticed local places had the BR7EIX (i think), but no BPR7EIX.

BPR7EIX go to Napa and ask for one. They had them in stock and everything... I was actually quite shocked.

Well the 1/10 of a second I picked up could have been from other factors too that change between rounds like temp and humidity so its really hard to say if the indexing alone was responsible for any gain at all. My point was all the time it took to index 8 plugs just didnt seem worth it in the end and I doubt indexing 2 plugs on a street bike would even be noticable in terms of HP or speed..............BG

Back