Mike's XS plugs too expensive

Quinn_McLeod

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently went to purchase some "performance" spark plugs. Mike's XS advertises some here: https://www.mikesxs.net/product/50-5944.html but wants $12.95 for ONE! PLUS S&H.

DESCRIPTION:
"While Dyno testing a problem bike (a TX750) it was discovered that customer supplied Iridium spark plugs caused the engine to gain 2 HP. Further Dyno testing on other stock and modified 650's showed the same results! The gain seems to be from improved combustion chamber flame front spread in the 650's old style combustion chamber. The same results were obtained on engines with points, factory Tci and Boyer ignitions. We determined that the shape and position of the nose and electrode caused the gain and not any enhancement of spark. Smoothing of the dips in the power curve, increased acceleration, reduced fuel consumption and up to 4 times longer plug life can also be expected. Dyno by Heiden Tuning."

I was able to find the same brand and model (the BPR-7EIX) on ebay for just $7.50. The S&H was A LOT cheaper too. Mike's want $11 to ship two small plugs! This place charged $1.99 for one, and free shipping on additional items.
So I was able to get two brand new spark plugs with shipping and handling for a grand total of $16.99.

Mike's XS advertises that you'll get 2HP boost from these plugs, plus increased acceleration, receded fuel consumption and they'll last 4 times longer than the stock original ones, or some plugs that are inferior to these. So I think it's worth the money for the HP improvement and all the other mentioned improvements. But that's a small fortune for plugs.

I'm happy with that price and wanted to share my experience with you guys here.

Mikesxs charges whatever the market will pay. That's why most people shop around.

All the hyperbole about more HP and increased acceleration, is called marketing. You will never be able to detect any difference. These classic bikes don't gain anything by using iridium plugs. I use regular BP7ES plugs, and they work really well.

If you like iridium plugs then keep using them. I'm sure others will post and agree with the use of iridium plugs.

How your engine runs is determined by its wear/compression, strength of ignition/coil, tuning/cleanliness of carbs, type of air filters and exhaust; not by using iridium plugs.

Mikesxs charges whatever the market will pay. That's why most people shop around.

All the hyperbole about more HP and increased acceleration, is called marketing. You will never be able to detect any difference. These classic bikes don't gain anything by using iridium plugs. I use regular BP7ES plugs, and they work really well.

If you like iridium plugs then keep using them. I'm sure others will post and agree with the use of iridium plugs.

How your engine runs is determined by its wear/compression, strength of ignition/coil, tuning/cleanliness of carbs, type of air filters and exhaust; not by using iridium plugs.

Gotcha. I'm running a PamcoPete mechanical advance ignition, with a Hugh's Handbuilt PMA and a sparx capacitor. And a high output coil. The spark plugs shoot down something like 6 volts or something ridiculous like that. I could get "cheap" spark plugs, but I want quality since I've got a new and high quality ignition and charging system. So I probably would have bought these plugs either way - weather they were marketed as having a HP increase or not. I guess the point of the post was to say to those who don't know - Mike's XS has good stuff, but ridiculous prices. I was able to shop around and find what I wanted for a lot less. Nothing against Mike.

Your local auto parts store probably has them in stock. Cheaper yet no shipping. Pete runs autolite 63 plugs. If you believe those HP claims Mikes plugs are better they cost more.

Pete says the iridium plug only benefits one side because the coil produces reverse polarity on the other plug.

Interesting. Would that mean that you only need 1 plug? OR do you just need one GOOD quality plug and one crappy whatever plug for the polarity (whatever that is)?

That was his advice 1 plug. Nothing cheap autolite makes quality plugs. Pete changes plugs more often than most of us. The vibration more than anything can limit the life of a plug. I tried a set that came with the mikes package. I didn't experience the 2 HP. Wasn't expecting the claim. I have the 63 in the bike now. Looking to buy another set for some carb test. I have had no problems with the stock NGK.

I use either or...autolites seem just a bit hotter. But i found bpr7es here. I run non resistor boots, dyna mini coil and pamco w/eadvance. Finally got main jet right, 142.5 and the insulator is a nice tan all the way down inside.

another autolite 63 user here. Got a 1980 sg, stock black box, mikes dual output ign coil. starts first kick stone cold, runs awesome.

Gotcha. I'm running a PamcoPete mechanical advance ignition, with a Hugh's Handbuilt PMA and a sparx capacitor. And a high output coil. The spark plugs shoot down something like 6 volts or something ridiculous like that. I could get "cheap" spark plugs, but I want quality since I've got a new and high quality ignition and charging system. So I probably would have bought these plugs either way - weather they were marketed as having a HP increase or not. I guess the point of the post was to say to those who don't know - Mike's XS has good stuff, but ridiculous prices. I was able to shop around and find what I wanted for a lot less. Nothing against Mike.

"Mike's XS has good stuff" .....................you haven't been using this website long enough to know the truth. Mikesxs is at best comparable to the Walmart of XS650 suppliers. He sells a lot of parts, some are OK, but many parts are sub-standard. The list of bad parts they sell is quite long....................there is a thread on this web site, which you can find if you search.

A lot of their parts are made in Taiwan; they resemble OEM parts, but the factories have no quality control, and many times the parts are not useable and if they are they often fail early. The parts are no where close to the OEM quality that came from Japan. I consider Mikesxs as a choice of last resort, for buying parts.

I don't know which plugs you are calling "cheap", but I've used the NGK BP7ES plugs for the last 7 years, and they work perfect. Instant starts, brisk acceleration and 55 mpg.

Back