Ninja EX500 carbs on an XS650?

Alright all, I think ive cracked the code on throttle cables.

Let me start by saying I am wary of modifying cables. They're assembled pretty well to offer Lon service with little maintenance, tolerances are quite close, so modifying them seems like potential for big problems.

After some extensive cross- reference and interchangeability research over the last few weeks I determined a very close fit to the ex500 carbs while using a stock yamaha XS throttle does indeed exist.

The cable is intended for a Honda cm400 hawk, circa 1978-1981 (motion pro part # 02-0087). The cable is the "pull" cable. Available from Powersports Superstore on Amazon for less than $12 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001I...f_=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

The Hawk cable is very similar in shape to the stock Yamaha item, except the ferrule that abuts to the throttle housing is threaded into the housing and secured by a locknut. This requires one to drill and tap the housing of the yamaha throttle assembly to accept the threaded honda abutment. It's a simple procedure if you have access to the required tap, which is a 10-1.25 metric, a very common size.

You can see by the photos that no fancy tools or methods are employed. All adjusters were set to the center of their range, and when attached at both ends to their respective locations offered perfect length.

I kid you not, that's it. I'll be firing the bike with new carbs fitted as soon as I have time to fit the carbs. Right now it's fajita night and I'm the cook!

EF0E838F-EADA-428A-A05A-BCFABE6F0C2D.jpg

C3A83101-0A6A-45B0-B831-7ABE24565B3C.jpg

730D500D-B855-4AD4-8826-C9A9C82FAEE4.jpg

Last edited:
Managed to get a few days out on it since I converted my 1981 SH. My current set-up is:

1994 GPz500S CVK 34 carbs
#38 Pilots
#138 Mains
JJJ needles on #3
Pipercross foam filters behind OEM side panels
1 3/8" ID headers without balance pipe
Short glass-pack reverse cone megas
Champion N7YCC plugs 'cos NGKs fail too often for my liking!

As for on the road my findings are similar to XSLeo's:
- Starts easily from cold on approx 3/4 choke then choke off to approx 1/4.
- When engine warmed, choke off with idle rising to a steady 1400rpm when hotter.
- Smooth on light throttle openings with little to no hesitation on transition. May try #40 pilots to see if I can get rid of this.
- Pulls hard on WOT with no misfires.
- No popping on overrun.
- Smoother and more responsive by far than my old Mikunis.

Job done! :thumbsup:

There's a little write-up on my bike at http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34743 for anyone that's interested. :bike:

Last edited:
Thanks for the information on the Honda cable with pictures. Good to hear the carbs are working well for you.

As far as the carbs working, that's another story. I got excited that I had the cable done and slapped the carbs on for a test fire. It gushed gas (skipped checking float higher) and fired third kick no choke. Shut I down and realized I never installed the needle parts! Crazy they worked at all.

So I brought the pair to work with me this week to properly assemble on my nights off. Silly impatience, gets the best of you sometimes!

Great write-up Troop. I have a set of Ex carbs on the way and should be installing them by the end of the week.

Your link to Amazon shows up as a speedo cable. I found the cable on on Ebay for just a few bucks more.

Oops! I did buy a speedo cable there. Turns out the throttle cable was from motorcycle superstore.com here:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/10025/i/motion-pro-throttle-cable

Options were for a 1980 honda cb400t pull cable.

Motorcyclesuperstore.com sku# 534911

You can put that sku# into the search criteria then simply select "pull" and you've got it.

Those carbs fired and ran with No Needles In Them, whatsoever. My mind is blown.

The thing I was impressed about with these carbs, was if you read this thread, Follow the suggestions on jetting and needles, it just works.
I have several sets of jets and needles to try that may improve things. A bit of experimenting will tell.
If some one has tuned the stock carbs or played with some other carbs will find these to be almost to easy.
I plan on getting another set for the 81.
The only thing I think that could make them better is an accelerator pump, adjustable of course.
Leo

On the Honda pull cable, adapting it to the stock throttle housing looks to be a very good option.
Easy to do and it keeps the switch wiring right.
Leo

On the Honda pull cable, adapting it to the stock throttle housing looks to be a very good option.
Easy to do and it keeps the switch wiring right.
Leo

Amen! Though I am tempted by the svelte looks of the early 70s honda switches. Those control castings are quite nice looking and slim. Maybe after I finish the Sheetiron 300 Enduro on it!

If anyone knows a good place for jets and needles in Canada please let me know. The jets r us site pretty much says they don't want to ship to Canada, they suggest getting someone in the US to purchase them and then send them to you if you live in Canada.

If anyone knows a good place for jets and needles in Canada please let me know. The jets r us site pretty much says they don't want to ship to Canada, they suggest getting someone in the US to purchase them and then send them to you if you live in Canada.

I'll re-post them if want to have them sent to my address.

I've got big problems. Cabs leaking as fast as gas can come from tank through main jet passages (the ones in the intake bell mouths).

I had right side leak so I replaced the float needle with a new one on that side. Still leaking so I replaced the left one, too. Still leaking right side (I assumed the leak could be either side because of the single fuel line) so I adjusted both float levels. I eyeballed the floats to sit about 1-2mm above the main jet casting block at rest.

I re-installed the carbs and now both leaking. I'm sure I'm a moron and totally missing something. What is it?!

I'll continue my monoloque...

Checked the float levels. Left side ok. Right side about 6-7mm too high! Actually not sealing at all. Overflowing. I just put in new needlevalve from a repair kit a week ago. :wtf:

Removed, cleaned, tried again, still leaks, repeat, leaks, put in the old worn out OEM valve, does not leak, fuel level ok. Another :wtf:

Also the new float bowl gasket had swollen so much it was nearly impossible to put back on. I'll get OEM spares next time...

Will test drive tomorrow.

Pekka

Sound a like I may be repeating your problem here. I'll reinstall the old float needles and give it a whirl now that float heights are even.

Your carbs are probably still dirty, it does not take much to make the float valves leak. Or dirt in the tank with no filter. If the valves are new, also "lap" the seats with some toothpaste and a Qtip while you're in there.

Good luck!

Back