No Neutral when hot, Clutch basket now broken

wwitten

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off thanks to the members on this board for all their great information. Without many of you my TX650 never would have gotten so far. So far I have always been able to find a solution to the sometimes never ending issues that I have faced getting this bike back to at least a rideable condition.

Now after many months and many hours and quite a few dollars, she is running and doesn't look so bad for a 40 year old. In my test rides I discovered as have many difficulty finding neutral once the engine is hot. If fact really can't shift up at all if engine running and bike is stopped. No problem if engine isn't running, but once she gets up in temp if engine running....not able to shift up to neutral. Naturally followed all the advice here, new cable, cleaned and lubed adjuster. multiple trial adjustments all with no success.

Therefore went to the next step, and removed right hand cover to check shifter adjustment. That's where I really f'd up. Tried to remove the clutch unit without the "special tool" and broke a tang off of the exterior of the clutch basket.:banghead:

In hindsight see that Mikes has the "special tool" and will order along with other pieces and parts, to eventually get her back on the road, but will need a new/used basket. Other than ebay...any other sources.

Once again thanks
Bill

eBay is your best bet. I would recommend upgrading to an '80 or newer unit, the one with the dampened bottom plate. They engage smoother and are easier on the cush springs on the back of the clutch hub.

Thanks for the info, but wasn't the XJ was the successor in the "80s" ? Seen some XJ clutch assemblies and they look quite different. As I am still learning is this a relative easy swap out. Will take a look at info on the forum.
Thanks

An '80 or newer XS650 twin clutch. Our bike was produced until '83

I don't often differ with 5twins, but I'd advise you take a look at a few of the vintage parts suppliers like Northwest Vintage Cycle Parts--Google is your friend. NOS clutch baskets are easy to come by and not that expensive--around $100, give or take a bit of change. Given the number of potential wear issues in the assembly (notches from clutch plate edges, weakened damper springs supporting the primary gear, and galling from a bad bushing are all common), I'd opt for a new unit of either type over a used one.

This is sort of happening to mine now, I'ts extremely hard to find neutral when the engine is hot, even with clutch adjustment. Does this mean I need to replace some clutch discs?

Back