No spark after replacing everything

girouxmcisaak

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've been rebuilding a 1980 XS650 from the ground up (it was a junkyard bike) and I've reached a dead end with the ignition system.

A few weeks ago, I posted a thread Here where Pamcopete was very helpful in getting me to go through all the tests and eventually decided to send me a new PAMCO system.

Once I got the new PAMCO in, I put it on and...nothing.

So I thought maybe the coil, despite the tests being within the range that Pete laid out, might be bad so I ordered a whole different one (Mike's Ultimate High Output Ignition Coil part #17-6903) with new boots and everything. It came in today and I wired it up with new wire (not reusing the previous coil's wiring) and nothing.

Having replaced all the parts, I'm at a total loss for where the issue is and I'm hoping someone might have some insight or see something I've missed.

So far I've replaced:

PAMCO sensor
PAMCO e-advancer
Coil
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Boots

I've used two separate batteries (both 12V 1.3Ah AGM sealed batteries), I've tested with the kill switch (a 12V 25A toggle switch) and without the kill switch. The system is currently separate from the PMA and that entire system altogether.

I've adjusted the PAMCO timing forwards and backwards (starting first with it in the center). I've checked all my grounds (The battery and PAMCO e-advancer go to the same frame ground, the engine is grounded to the frame via wire from one of the engine mounts) and made sure to strip away all the paint from a large area, as well as clean it with alcohol to get rid of any residue.

Pete's at a loss too so I was hoping to throw one last Hail Mary before throwing in the towel.

Hopefully someone will have some insight. I'm already thinking that I should maybe go all the way back and buy some points and see if I can get those to work.

:banghead:

One thought: While testing for voltage (testing for a complete circuit from the battery to the various connectors on the PAMCO) I found that I was getting a complete circuit from the battery positive terminal to the coil mounts (the stock mounting spot) and from the battery positive terminal to the coil core. Should I be getting a complete circuit on both of those?

Back