Nutrition health and Weight loss

Low carbohydrate flour: I mentioned this earlier but neglected to add any references. I see that coconut flour is commonly cited in "Low Carb" recipes and has the following nutritional analysis from the Connecticut Coconut Company:
http://www.ctcoconut.com/files/Coconut_FlourTech_Specs_and_Nutritional_Values2.pdf

Taking average values gives:
Total Carbohydrate (Sugars,Starch and Fibre) 59%
(Net Carbohydrate 22%: See note below)
Crude Protien 18%
Crude Fat 12% max.
Ash 5%
Moisture 5% max

Note: Although the carbohydrate content is high at 59%, we are really only concerned with the percent that can be digested i.e. Net Carbohydrate. This value is somewhere in the order of 37% of the Total Carbohydrate based on ratios provided at:
https://perfectketo.com/is-coconut-flour-keto-friendly/

These values indicate the net carbohydrate level in coconut flour is about half that of wheat flour. Therefore the use of coconut flour in a keto diet must be carefully controlled. Typically the low carbohydrate bread recipes I have seen use a small amount of coconut flour and bulk it out by folding it into whipped egg whites to give a light fluffy bread like product.

I think there is alot of merit in Jetmecmarty's comment in Entry 126 above regarding retraining one's palate!
I have been meaning to try to bake some keto bread using Almond flour...I just have never baked anything other than a potato...not recently either...LOL..I have to get a pan for bread but the recipe looks fairly simple...

This recipe is for Almond flour...Once i get my monthly stipend i will go shop for the other needed ingredients...i miss bread ..somewhat...
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/263033/best-keto-bread/
Only 4.9 g of carbs per serving...not sure if that is 1 or 2 pcs of "bread"
Edit..I believe that is for 1 piece...1 serving =1 pc of Keto Bread..but even 2 slices with my Tunafish for lunch is well under my 20g daily limit..This could work...

Last edited:
I have been meaning to try to bake some keto bread using Almond flour...I just have never baked anything other than a potato...not recently either...LOL..I have to get a pan for bread but the recipe looks fairly simple...

Yes almond flour makes great cakes.;) I use it quite often when I want some cake. The only problem is that because its finely ground nuts it does leave you with a mouth full of tiny bits of nut stuck between your teeth . Coconut flour is a very strong flavour and not to everyones taste for something like bread or cake.
I usually add some extra butter and an egg to make the cake less dry . Never tried making bread with it because it is too expensive nearly £3.00 for 100gms here in the UK

GOOGLE knows all! "Turnips are perfect for a low carb or keto diet! 1 medium turnip has 8 grams of carbs and 2.2 grams of fiber, making one whole turnip just 5.8 net carbs."
I think your maths is a little wonky marty :) if something contains 8 gms of carbohydrate then it has 8gms of carbs you can't deduct 2.2 gms .:umm:
I'd like to see the size of the turnip that contains just 8gms of carbohydrate it would be very small .

One of my favourite vegetable dishes is mashed carrots and swede or carrots and parsnip I imagine you could could add turnip as well .A little rock salt and black pepper and some butter in a blender makes it a very scrummy addition with any meal;)

Yes almond flour makes great cakes.;) I use it quite often when I want some cake. The only problem is that because its finely ground nuts it does leave you with a mouth full of tiny bits of nut stuck between your teeth . Coconut flour is a very strong flavour and not to everyones taste for something like bread or cake.
I usually add some extra butter and an egg to make the cake less dry . Never tried making bread with it because it is too expensive nearly £3.00 for 100gms here in the UK
Good to know..it will be interesting to see if i like the taste..Have a 1 lb bag of Almond flour...not sure what the cost but it seems to be worth it...

I think your maths is a little wonky marty :) if something contains 8 gms of carbohydrate then it has 8gms of carbs you can't deduct 2.2 gms .:umm:
I'd like to see the size of the turnip that contains just 8gms of carbohydrate it would be very small .

One of my favourite vegetable dishes is mashed carrots and swede or carrots and parsnip I imagine you could could add turnip as well .A little rock salt and black pepper and some butter in a blender makes it a very scrummy addition with any meal;)
I think he means that 2.2 grms of carbs burn off and passed out of the body so not counted...like the other carbs...???

Great thread going here, guys.
Chock full of info.

I'm sold.

Been on the Texican program for the past 3 months.
Go outdoors in the heat, work up a sweat.
Until sopping wet, and/or pass out.
Come inside, dry off, cool off.
Repeat.

Weight down to 195 lbs, and it's plateaued there.

So, started with the Keto diet a few days ago.
Going thru the "Keto flu" symptoms now.

Fun times...

if you're fat stop eating until you aren't. if you're skinny eat until you aren't.
life is simple, just ride, or whatever peter used to say.

Great thread going here, guys.
Chock full of info.

I'm sold.

Been on the Texican program for the past 3 months.
Go outdoors in the heat, work up a sweat.
Until sopping wet, and/or pass out.
Come inside, dry off, cool off.
Repeat.

Weight down to 195 lbs, and it's plateaued there.

So, started with the Keto diet a few days ago.
Going thru the "Keto flu" symptoms now.

Fun times...

well done 2M ...;) it does get easier if you can tough it out and if anyone can you can . After about 10 days I realised I no longer felt hungry all day long and I no longer craved carbs all day either. It is important to eat well on fat and protein so that you are not hungry otherwise there is the temptation to reach for bread, cake, biscuits, pastry etc .

I found a big sip of double cream as a snack kept me feeling satiated for several hours especially in a morning coffee and the other go-to snack for me is meat especially chicken pieces. I usually cook a chicken a week and pick off the carcass when I am peckish. Another great snack is pilchards or mackrell tuna and salmon from a tin or fresh Lots of good Omega 3 . Just need to avoid fish in tomato and stick with brine or oil and you won't get any hidden sugars which are in the tomato version.

Don't forget to boil up a few eggs to snack on as well......... they are incredibly nutritious and a great, filling snack between meals ;)

I fell off the waggon last week and ate quite a lot of cake for a few days and now feel bloated and lethargic so with your inspirational achievement this morning I am going back on the Keto diet again today ,.

Well done indeed 2M ....we look forward to hearing about your progress, negatives as well as positives which will hopefully inspire others to try it

Thanx, peanut.

This Keto diet *does* have its challenges.

- The personal life-changing habits, and adapting.
- Finding foods that aren't tainted with sugars. That stuff's in *everything* over here.
- My rural situation. I normally go to town 2-3 times a month for provisions. Usually buy things with a long shelf life. That's bad food. The good stuff has a shorter shelf life. Have to redesign my whole shopping and storage strategies.
- I love peanut butter, especially on bread. Can't do that now. Maybe try smearing it on some BBQ?

I read about the "Keto flu". They aren't kidding. I'm kinda blanched-out right now...

Thanx, peanut.

This Keto diet *does* have its challenges.

- The personal life-changing habits, and adapting.
- Finding foods that aren't tainted with sugars. That stuff's in *everything* over here.
- My rural situation. I normally go to town 2-3 times a month for provisions. Usually buy things with a long shelf life. That's bad food. The good stuff has a shorter shelf life. Have to redesign my whole shopping and storage strategies.
- I love peanut butter, especially on bread. Can't do that now. Maybe try smearing it on some BBQ?

I read about the "Keto flu". They aren't kidding. I'm kinda blanched-out right now...

ahhhhhh peanut butter ...:) because I cannot spread it any longer (no bread or biscuits) I just scoop out a tea spoonfull and suck it off the spoon occasionally as a snack . Its one of my favourites

You've hit the nail on the head regarding fresh food and shelf life. Its a constant dilemma to us too. I hate throwing away good food that has gone off because we didn't get a chance to eat it.

Like you say it does involve a whole new approach to shopping for food and eating .We now try to plan ahead 4-5 days what we are going to eat so that we don't have stuff going off in the fridge.

My partner grows most all of our vegetable needs which is great . We just use small wooden raised beds and even large plastic storage boxes to grow stuff in Most folk grow far too much and end up throwing lots away at first but at least its free when its from your own garden.

We rely heavily on our freezer for meat and fish which forms the major part of our diet now Frozen vegetables are just as nutritious as fresh, so any extra veg can be frozen like runner beans and peas etc.

We eat Greek yogurt with berries most evenings . i find the Greek yogurt a lot less sour than most others , almost like icecream and as its live yogurt its good for the gut microbiome. I do miss icecream and jam rollypolly with custard though :(

Heres a great Keto main meal idea for anyone trying a keto diet and stumped for meal ideas. its highly nutritious , delicious and very filling and makes a great change to the usual meat and veg .

Beef Burger with Broccali and cheese sauce.

Try and find a premium burger with a high proportion of grass fed beef but its best to make your own and they are very simple to make.
Steam the broccali to taste crunchy or soft etc
Make a simple cheese sauce with butter a little almond flour mature cheddar cheese and a small teaspoon of strong mustard and black pepper . Thoroughly drain the broccali and mix it into the cheese sauce .

Thats it ! if that doesn't fill you up then check you haven't got worms lol

Heard good things about Greek yogurt, so I got some.
Beef burger with cheese-drowned broccoli? Yum.

Right now, I'm just doing the Keto diet, trying to choose 0 carb foods, but finding a coupla carbs here and there.

Do you think it's best to kick-start this thing with the Keto recommended supplements?

ApprovedScienceKeto.jpg

From here:

https://www.ketoreport.org/guide/how-to-find-keto-product-really-works/

mmm I'll have to give that article a thorough read but my first instincts are that switching from a predominantly carbohydrate diet .to a ketogenic High Fat and High protein diet .... I'd say probably not needed.

A typical diet these days is probably around 50-75 % carbohydrate once we cut that down to about 10% or less the body is forced to burn our stored fat for energy (autophagy) but it does take around a week for most of us to go into a ketogenic state . Its a natural evolutionary process and doesn't need any assistance from supplements unless maybe we are sneaking the occasional carbs .

I do believe however that we should supplement certain key minerals and vitamins to ensure that we get sufficient especially Vit D3 (I take 3000 IU thoughout Winter months) and Mineral Magnesium (I usually take 375-750mg daily otherwise I have arthritic pain in many of my joints, I don't fully understand the mechanism but it works))
Aside from those I also take Vit B6 & B12 , K2 I figure I need all the help I can get.

Once you become ketogenic the body tends to stay that way so after a couple of weeks we can usually start reintroducing the occasional carb without losing our ketogenic state. A pizza once a week or a curry or some chips now and then shouldn't cause any problems .

Last night I made a little batter with some flour and eggs and made some fried fish in a saucepan and it was wonderful. The amount of carbs in a couple of tablespoons of flour is negligible but the vegetable oil I fried it in is high in omega 6 and very harmfull so we'll probably not repeat that for a few weeks :(

Last edited:
on first read through the review sounds perfectly reasonable with various warnings and cautions etc but I'd say it has to be fundamentally flawed .
the article suggests that .......' Fundamentally, an effective keto formula works with your body chemistry to change your metabolism. By boosting and maintaining a natural state of ketosis,

Its carefully worded to suggest that without a ketogenic supplement your body cannot achieve and maintain an effective ketogenic state therefore not effectively enabling you to lose unwanted weight which is complete nonsense. If our diet is low in carbohydrates then the body has to get energy from stored fat in exactly the same way that hibernating bears and other animals live off their body fat through hibernation. Its a natural process which can only be stopped by consuming carbohydrates. its so much easier for the body to use high energy sugars contained in carbohydrates for energy ...than it is to convert stored fat into glucose .....so the body will always prefer to use carbs whilst we keep eating them.

the article also says ....'we should ensure a ketogenic supplement contains four ketone salts (sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium) '....which is also complete rubbish. Every animal on the planet needs and obtains these essential mineral salts to live without which we would die within minutes . They are freely available in all proteins and fats and we do not need to take ketogenic supplements to obtain them .

I kind of liken these claims to the carbohydrate manufacturing giants who for decades have added minerals and vitamins to our bread and cereals and said 'look how healthy our grain foods are !' as millions more die around the World of Diabetes and coronary heart disease from eating too much sugar

This is what i mean about false or misleading information ...its everywhere ......if there is any cost or money involved then its reasonable to assume its not required

Last edited:
Peanut, try a Google search on "Wallach pig arthritis formula".

An excerpt on Magnesium in this thread.

https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/dr-wallach-on-osteo-arthritis/

yes I have come across Wallach on the tube a few years back. Arthritis is still a little understood subject and there are as many claimed cures as there are sufferers I reckon.

I am sure that there are many different types of Arthritis including genetic but my feeling is that the largest proportion of Arthritis will turn out to be due to a greater extent by a long term high carbohydrate and sugar consumption .

Most of our chronic illnesses are treated by medicating the symtoms of the condition instead of looking to the cause . Arthritis as I understand it is essentially an inflamation due to the bodies immune system tackling and managing various underlying health issues like Metabolic Syndrome and Insulinemia .
I definitely need to find more time to study this subject as I am increasingly beginning to suffer with it myself.

Ok, great. Thanx for your perspective.
I love snake oils. Sometimes need a bucket of water splashed in my face.

Also, to monitor progress, was considering getting some Keto test strips.

http://bestreviews.com/best-ketone-test-strips

Since you're diabetic, can I assume that you're using some sort of blood glucose test?
And, would your test indicate ketosis?

Back