Odd Wiring Question

jrb8705

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok so i ran all my wires everything looks connected right. I ran the battery ground to the frame and connected the started motor lead and starter switch to the possitive terminal and the bike just tried to start right then. Wht does this mean are the wires crossed some where? the starter motor wire goes to the + terminal correct? im not sure whats wrong here all i know is once i touch the starter motor wire to the postive my bike tries to start. the kill switch is on off and so is the key .

Ok so i ran all my wires everything looks connected right. I ran the battery ground to the frame and connected the started motor lead and starter switch to the possitive terminal and the bike just tried to start right then. Wht does this mean are the wires crossed some where? the starter motor wire goes to the + terminal correct? im not sure whats wrong here all i know is once i touch the starter motor wire to the postive my bike tries to start. the kill switch is on off and so is the key .

You seem to be missing the starter contactor (sometimes called a solenoid). You cannot connect the starter motor lead directly to the battery.

o ok i have all the orignal parts so i have it some where. do u know where it was located on the bike orginally or a what it looks like maybe a picture im pretty new at this and i been going nuts over this wiring for months now

ok im sorry i see the starter solenoid it was on the old battery box. now how does it get wired? starter motor cable connected to the solenoid then the solenoid connected to the battery?

ok im sorry i see the starter solenoid it was on the old battery box. now how does it get wired? starter motor cable connected to the solenoid then the solenoid connected to the battery?

This diagram shows basically how its done.

Attachments

• XS650 all years.JPG
    XS650 all years.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 63
look at pics below. red point is connected to (+)battery, yellow point to starter. if you have factory harness, you have two connectors for blue(blue/white wire) and green point (red/white wire). if you made your own harness, connect one to starter button and the other to keyed (+)

Attachments

• sol1.JPG
    sol1.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 72
  • sol2.JPG
    sol2.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 71
Back