oil delivery pipe leaks

maia 8cars

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your advice on my starter problems, took it apart and cleaned it, everything good. I cannot get my oil delivery pipe to stop leaking. It leaks right at the banjo bolt connection, not where it enters the crankcase. seems like not the best system... I have actually lapped the ball and socket bits together to try to get them to mate better with no luck. I put the banjo bolt in the vise and assembled the unit and plugged the two top tubes and blew through the bottom and it leaks air. the threads are good . seems to me strange there is no gasket in there, you know... hot oil under pressure. Common problem? Thanks in advance.

There is supposed to be banjo washers in there one on top, one underneath on each side.
Leo

maia 8cars, A difference in terminology has happened.
I think you are referring to the connection at the bottom of the riser/stand pipe?
Where the union is for the fitting in the case and the flange nut?
The schematics do call that a banjo bolt. I would have called it a flange fitting or union fitting.
XSLeo is thinking the top two bolts(schematic calls them union bolts) are what you are referring to and I also would have called those banjo bolts (hollow middle with a cross drilled hole). Those do need the washers above and below.

Back to your problem, have you tried two wrenchs? One to hold the fitting and one to tighten the nut? DO NOT use a single wrench to tighten the nut. It will turn the fitting till it breaks/cracks the case. You can thank 5twins for that advice, I'm just passing it along.

I'm just going by the terminology from the parts list but I think we're talking about the same thing. I'm thinking the compressible brass part on the end of the pipe may be squished down so far it's not sealing. I built it up with solder then used valve grinding compound to mate the surfaces and made a wire washer to fit under the screw down cap to take up some slack. I'll let you know how it works put, thanks

I seem to recall another member here had a similar situation. Found the cause was a slight crack in the compression nut was beginning to form...

Back