Oil Leak

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 81 xs650 special that has an oil leak coming from the left side. I replaced the push rod oil seal and that is no longer leaking. In the picture I circled the two areas I believe the leak is coming from (not my picture just one i grabbed from the forum). I do not think that it is the front sprocket so if it is below that is that a hard seal to change? Also does the chain guide/guard circled in green come of with the shaft?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• oil leak.jpg
    oil leak.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 259
Okay, dont know where the oil leak is coming from, but at least i can chip in with the chain guard. Its removable and doesnt follow the shaft. So you unscrew a couple of places and slide it off... Offcourse it could be hard to pull off, if its old and rustu, but it should seperate just fine.

If the oil leak is coming from the sprocket shaft seal (which is pretty common) it can sometimes be stopped by making sure the sprocket nut is torqued down properly. There's a collar behind the seal that has to be pulled up snug to make it seal properly.

It's quite common for the sprocket nut to be only finger tight once the tab on the washer behind the nut is folded up off the flat on the nut. (If that makes any sense...)

The chain guard is attached with two tabs. You'll have to remove the bolt from the front one but the rear only needs the nut loosened .....

ShiftShaftGuard2.jpg

I appreciate the responses. What is the best way to tighten the front sprocket nut? I tried having someone stand on the break and that didn't work at all cause the tire just turned anyways.

also I should have mentioned that it only leaks while I'm riding. Once I finish riding the residual oil just makes its way to the ground. Is this what you would expect from the front sprocket nut?

clean the area best as possible and dry it. douche it with baby powder and go for a short ride. The powder will tell you where the leak is coming from.

I appreciate the responses. What is the best way to tighten the front sprocket nut? I tried having someone stand on the break and that didn't work at all cause the tire just turned anyways.

also I should have mentioned that it only leaks while I'm riding. Once I finish riding the residual oil just makes its way to the ground. Is this what you would expect from the front sprocket nut?
I keep the chain on
then I put it in first gear
if you can get someone to sit on it and hold the rear brake on
then tighten it up.
the crank case is under pressure when it is running and not when it isn't.
that's why it leaks while running

Back