Oil leak

Chris Costello

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMG_9796.JPG
Would anyone know where this oil leak is coming from and what gasket i'd have to buy to replace it? 1981 Yamaha XS650

It could be a couple different places but I don't see the clutch pushrod, just took out for pic? Also don't see any hardware on the starter gear cover.

It could be a couple different places but I don't see the clutch pushrod, just took out for pic? Also don't see any hardware on the starter gear cover.
My brother gave me this bike after he quit working on it and let it sit for about 10 years. I presume the parts you are referencing are some of the parts he either lost or neglected to give me. Nonethless I just researched the clutch rod on mikes xs and I'm seeing two varieties of the clutch rod, a long rod and a short rod. Is there an advantage to having one of these rods over the other?

Thanks for the help,
Chris

Most people go with the one piece long rod. Replace the oil seal for the rod while your at it. I'd suspect thats where the oil is coming from, but the starter gear cover could be another place. The last place could be the sprocket.

My brother gave me this bike after he quit working on it and let it sit for about 10 years. I presume the parts you are referencing are some of the parts he either lost or neglected to give me. Nonethless I just researched the clutch rod on mikes xs and I'm seeing two varieties of the clutch rod, a long rod and a short rod. Is there an advantage to having one of these rods over the other?
Chris
Hi Chris,
looks like you inherited a disaster in the making.
Your photo shows the clutch pushrod and the six starter end-cover bolts being MIA.
As to long vs short pushrod replacement, either will work but it's best to first discover what's left down the hole.
The original clutch-side short rod and it's spacing ball may still be down there, eh?
And that chain & sprocket look to be at the end of their usability, too.
On checking your other posts about the bike.
Before spending $600+ on a PMA/Pamco swap check that your perfectly adequate electromagnetic alternator/TCI systems are still in place.

IMG_9800.JPG
IMG_9801.JPG
IMG_9804.JPG
Spent a few minutes cleaning the oil off of everything. It seems that oil is leaking from both the pushrod and the starter cover. I was also able to locate the ball bearing.

You can get them at a hardware store, I can't remember the size off the top of my head. M6x1.25 maybe????
One final question. As I just purchased the long pushrod from mikes xs, how would I go about installing it? I assume I would have to remove the ball bearing.

The starter cover bolts are M6 x 25mm long. Many times, you can determine a bolt or screw length by looking at the part number. The middle set of numbers often tells you what it is .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y...TOR UNIT XS650D - E - E006501- - F/parts.html

In this case, the "06025" tells you this is an M6 bolt that is 25mm long.

You don't have a shop manual do you. Most of the questions you're asking would be easily answered by looking in one. There are free copies on-line so there's really no excuse for this.

Personally? Get the clutch pushrod and starter cover bolts in place. Clean that sob up and put the cover back on. Put some time and energy into getting the bike running and charging.....you can always come back and revisit behind this cover, might even be able to tell exactly where the leak is coming from.

The starter cover bolts are M6 x 25mm long. Many times, you can determine a bolt or screw length by looking at the part number. The middle set of numbers often tells you what it is .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1977/XS650D/STARTING MOTOR UNIT XS650D - E - E006501- - F/parts.html

In this case, the "06025" tells you this is an M6 bolt that is 25mm long.

You don't have a shop manual do you. Most of the questions you're asking would be easily answered by looking in one. There are free copies on-line so there's really no excuse for this.
No excuse for this? I hope my posts aren't offending you pal. In my opinion I'd rather get the advice of others with experience with these bikes rather than spending my time finding and translating a shop manual. The whole point of having a forum focused on the XS650 is to connect with others, ask questions, and share your knowledge. Nonetheless thanks for the help.

No excuse for this? I hope my posts aren't offending you pal. In my opinion I'd rather get the advice of others with experience with these bikes rather than spending my time finding and translating a shop manual. The whole point of having a forum focused on the XS650 is to connect with others, ask questions, and share your knowledge. Nonetheless thanks for the help.
Chris,

You are deserving of praise for working on this neglected xs650.

Do continue to ask any questions.

I hope that the repair work goes well.

If you haven't already, how about sharing a pic of the whole bike?

IMG_9815.PNG
IMG_9816.PNG
IMG_9817.PNG
Chris,

You are deserving of praise for working on this neglected xs650.

Do continue to ask any questions.

I hope that the repair work goes well.

If you haven't already, how about sharing a pic of the whole bike?
This is the current state of the bike. Keep in mind, the paint isn't in perfect condition. As a temporary solution to my paint problems I chose to plasti-dip the tank while I save up to have it professionally painted. I still have to go about cleaning the entire bike, as there is still some dust and oil hanging around.

Back