Oil on RHS sidecover

Not saying my way is the right way. I tried the way you describe and got the same results. Tried it screwed in and it reads exactly full. I thought that was weird... but I'll go with it.

my bike gets that same oil on side cover its the cam shaft seal have replaced the seals a few times now tryed ones from mikes the bearing shop etc.preasently using vitton seals which are the highst temp ratting you can get left side is now good but right is still weaping a bit wish I could tell you why its doing it butt its got me beat good luck

Same here on the left side....changed out the gasket and still misting on runs, next is to put the power brake booster in the breather line as soon as I get a round toit.

I stand corrected: cap on threads not screwed in. Bike on wheels and balanced upright. There were some dipstick "malfunctions" over the years some were too short? Anyways If you are using a lot of oil and there aren't puddles it's burning it. You could get a leak down tester, NOT THE HARBOR FRIGHT POS, but no reason really, the engine has to come out and you will need to do a top overhaul. Once you are there the problems will most likely be visible. and you will measure and replace what's needed anyways. The only question is do you want to keep riding it "As is" for the summer or do it now.

Excessive misting out the breather is caused many times because people remove the rubber reducer plug from the breather outlet. I took them out when I first got my bike and suffered from excess misting. I asked on these lists about removing them and was told it's OK. It's not OK. Yamaha put those reducer plugs in there for a reason.

I removed them today too, but it made no difference. It does seem like I have quite alot of blow by.

Travelling to France next monday, so I'll be looking closely at the oil level over the next couple of days. I might be in for a top end overhaul in the weekend.

I might try getting everything nice and clean. Then ride it a bit, stop and look, ride some more stop and look. You should find where the oil is coming from.
Leo

Back