Oil Pump Drive

Hello Skull
In this case, I leveled the surface of the pump case face which is part of the side cover. The rotors appeared to be in good condition and within the tolerances given by 2Many, so I did not address their surfaces. My concern, during this procedure, was that I might remove too much material from the face of the pump case resulting in an increased space within the pump "chamber". Upon consideration,this cannot be the case as the dimensions of that "space" are governed by the height of the "lid" walls and I did not remove any material from the "lid" face that sits on the pump case so the volume of the internal pump chamber should be the same since the "lid" now, once again, sits flush on the case . I was concerned about lowering the overall "height" of the pump by a couple of thou but, if I did, it does not appear to affect the alignment of the components upon assembly. Sorry for the makeshift terminology but, if you've pulled one of these things apart, you should be able to follow my descriptors, (I hope!). As to whether the pump will still do its job,I wont know until I kick the machine over. I ordered new rings before Xmas and they still haven't arrived. Lost in the Festive rush I assume so, once again, I am sitting on my hands awaiting another delivery.

Some on this thread refer to oil pressure. These engines don't require oil pressure, just volume.
A good flow of oil is what the roller bearings In this engine needs.
If you search on here you will find some folks that have attached oil pressure gauges to their engines. While cold you get some pressure, once warm you get very little oil pressure.
Leo

So Leo, does that mean that as long as the pump rotors are within spec, the pump has been assembled correctly and is rotating freely, there are no obstructions in the lines or filters and, there is the correct volume of oil in the sump, mechanical circulation of the oil to the top of the engine should be a matter of course?

Back