Oil Squirts Out the Exhaust....

waveslayer

XS650 Member
Reaction score
First of all I bought this bike and i noticed it smoked alittle out the right side.. Turns out the oil was low so i added and howly shit it was squirting out the bad exhaust gasket.. Haha ran ran pretty good when it was low on oil....
Smoked enough to leave a blue smog line on the highway.. So compression test showed 135.. that could partailly be because of all the oil floating around in the cyclinder.. So i replaced the valve seals intake and exhaust without pulling the head. Still squirts out horrible! I fouled the plug it was so bad... So im guessing either i didn't get the seal down far enough on the exhaust side.. Or I need to pull the engine and do some investigating. What are everyones thoughts on this?

Sounds like it could be burning oil due to blow by from worn rings. Im not sure of the exact XS procedure but in the ATV world it'll typically require a fresh overbore piston, rings, and a matching bore/hone on the cylinder.

Try re torquing the head, my bet would be the head gasket allowing oil through the camchain tunnel. If the re torque wont do it, pull the donk out I'm afraid!
XSive blow by would be indicated by XSive breathing! :cheers:

Ok... over exagerated a little, their is no oil on the top of the piston (visually through the spark plug hole) I ran it on one cylinder with the spark plug on the bad side out and oil still burbled out the exhaust gasket but didn't splatter out the spark plug hole... Note that since the plug was out the intake and exhaust pulse or pressure as you will was significantly reduced.. Mostly i was checking to see if it was running in on top of the piston.. And could only see it on come through on the same place by the exhaust gasket, didn't have time to pull the carb and check the intake boot. Ill try a few more things tomarrow like the head torque ext..... Thanks for your words of advice!

i have been burning oil in my bike...i feel that re-torquing the head would help me too but i am unable to reach the center bolts on the engine...do you have to pull it out to re-torque or is there a trick i don't know

i know i can get to most of them with the tank off but it seems like i can not reach 1,2,3,4,11 (according to sequence in book) ill have to go back and try again and check

Just remove the top engine mounting brackets...............that will allow you to get to the #1,2,3, and 4. You can ride like that for a while. 30 ft-lbs is good for those bad boys.

#11 almost impossible to reach with engine in the bike. Possibly with a "wobble" extension.

To get to #11 try pulling the carbs. The most important bolts are #1-#10

Back