Oil (What is hot, cold?)

hotrdd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have seen a few recomendations for oil, some for hot weather and some for cold weather but I'm wondering what temperatures are we talking about?

In Calgary my riding can be lower than 8C or 46F in the morning and in the afternoon it's 27C or 80F.

I wass thinking I should probably jsut stick with a 10W-40 but was wondering what that will do to my engine when it gets warmer?

I have seen a few recomendations for oil, some for hot weather and some for cold weather but I'm wondering what temperatures are we talking about?

In Calgary my riding can be lower than 8C or 46F in the morning and in the afternoon it's 27C or 80F.

I wass thinking I should probably jsut stick with a 10W-40 but was wondering what that will do to my engine when it gets warmer?

I used to use diesel 15W40, but switched over to Pennzoil Motorcycle Oil 20W50 the last couple of years. Engine is quieter with 20W50. In my opinion, 20W50 is fine for temperatures here in Calgary. Let the engine warm up before riding, when its below
17 C.

Back in the 1970's and 1980's I always used 20W50...............that was an XS500C in Ontario.

Is it ever above 17C :confused: Also from Ontario so trying to get use to the weather.

Will run out and get some oil today. How many liters?

Last edited:
Back