oil

shanes

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi what oil do I use for my 78 xs 650 I was using 20 w 50 and now a have a waring noise coming from the bottom end engine has not siezed is 20 50 to thick what can i do to fix thks:(

I use rotella 15w-40 in winter. The weight of oil probably isn't the cause of your sound though.

20w40 is what Yamaha recommended but it's not exactly easy to find so I run regular 20w50 (no synthetics) and change it every 1500 miles or so. No unusual noise from mine at all. As far as the noise, without hearing it it's very difficult to say what's causing it.

20W50 oil is fine, even in the frozen north we call Canada:)

I use Pennsoil 20W50 motorcycle oil.

The oil grade did not cause your engine noise. I would suspect previous PO's that tortured the engine by running with low oil levels, long duration between oil changes, and seldom if ever cleaning both oil filters.

Are you finding debris in either filter? If so, is it steel or aluminum? How many miles/kms on the engine?

is there 2 oil filters ?

You have 1 filter in the sump.................6 bolts to remove the sump plate.You also have 1 filter in the right side engine cover.................2 allen head bolts to remove.

13,000 kms is low, so the engine should be in good condition, unless a PO ran with low oil. Yes, failing bearings will make noise.

Take a close look at both filters...................better yet post some pics so we all can see.

Back