Ok I need the simple answer to tire size please

Detale

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm driving myself nuts with the front tire size for my 79' pictured below. I need a new front tire without spending a fortune. I'd like to use a dirt style tire if at all possible but it's not that important. Could someone please give me some choices or at very least tell me what size tires I can use on my mags that say they are size 19 X 1.85. The tire on there is mm90 19 and I have read that I can use 100/90/19 or 3.50 X19 but I just wanted to check here before I ordered. Thanks so much guys.

Heres my bike
68799.jpg

Last edited:
It is my understanding that as long as the tire will clear the fork tubes ya have no problem. Since it seems you're only moving 10 mm in width (5 mm on each side), no problem. Problem starts with height of tire but plenty don't mind a couple degrees at the rake/trail.

Thanks for the reply. I'm just going to order these already and hope they fit.

Front:
Dunlop K70 Vintage Motorcycle Tire 3.50 X 19
capturenps.jpg

Rear
Duro HF904 Median Motorcycle Tire 130/90/16
capture2bz.jpg

Let us know how you like the Duro. I had considered using it but went with a trailwing because I got a killer deal on it ( $56 shipped ) .

Not much to choose from in dual-sport 16" tire that I could find.

For future searchers on the topic

I liked the Vee VRM 022

vrm_022.jpg

Bridgestone TW40.... which looks a lot like that duro (rear only)

TW40.jpg

Kenda K761 (front)
22164.jpg

I'm no expert on tires, but it is my understanding that you should use matching tires front and rear. Matching meaning front and rear tires from the same manufacturer and the same series. This to improve cornering and braking.

That is very true... for a performance oriented bike designed to go fast... although some tires may have a different tread pattern front to rear or a different compound and still be "matched".

The xs650 isnt really a performance bike. Chop it up and change the geometry and gaining performance through tire design is a mute point. Mine tops out at 65 mph and shakes like a beast doing it. There are a lot of things hampering performance on these bikes other than matching tires. This is especially true for dual sport tires. Put knobbies on your street bike and you arent interested in cornering ability any more.

It's said that life is an adventure and you guys are going to experience that first hand if you get caught in the rain with those tires, lol.

It's said that life is an adventure and you guys are going to experience that first hand if you get caught in the rain with those tires, lol.

Yep , Dual-sport tires dont do nearly as good in the rain but its simply a case of knowing the tires limitations. I have probably 50K street miles mostly on small enduros sporting Trailwings and have not wiped out yet. I did take a little spill once on a bike riding on knobbies in the rain, Nearly got ran over by a truck that time and learned a lesson.

When I wore out the factory Trailwings on my Scrambler I switched over to Michelin Anakees. Much better tire but I only get about half the tire life with them.

If your XS650 tops out at 65 mph then you have something seriously wrong with your bike. Any good xs650 will do the ton, not much more, but they will do the ton.

Back