OK, I', stumped

Here's a pic showing the spacer #3 sandwiched 'tween them thick washers.
It's locked with the mainshaft, and the basket's bushing rides on it...

XS650-ClutchBushingSpacer.jpg

It's possible that the basket is binding on that spacer, and/or the thick washers. The "basket spin test" should be performed.

Here's the 'basket spin test':

With the primary drive gear removed, you can spin the clutch basket.
The hub and all related washers need to be installed and tightened.
You'll want to check for:
Free spinning, no interference with things behind it.
Clearance to the raised portion of the case just to the left of the crank ball-bearing. Would like at least 1/2 mm here.
Wobbling. It must run true. No runout, no wobble.
Looseness. Don't want it flopping around in there. Should have little to no perceptable side-side, up-down, in-out slack. About 0.002" (0.050mm) running clearances.

If all is OK, then reinstall primary drive gear. Ensure that primary drive gear teeth are at same level/elevation as clutch basket gear teeth...

Here's a pic showing the spacer #3 sandwiched 'tween them thick washers.
It's locked with the mainshaft, and the basket's bushing rides on it...

View attachment 108568

did you just rustle up that sketch 2M ?
Your section doesn't show the bronze bush bearing which is integral to the clutch basket.;)

When I Assembled my clutch the first time washer/shim #5 in Peanuts picture got misaligned and dented slightly upon assembly and trying to torque it down.... I realised before I went too far that something was amiss so I took it all back apart and found the washer/shim damage
I repaired the damage and used grease to hold it on the part stack upon assembly the 2nd time and it went together perfectly that time
I suspect that is why you can't get one of the washers off as they were misaligned upon assembly.... now they are damaged and should probably be replaced...... make sure the flat bearing is operating perfectly and laying flat you can bend these parts very easily and then the clutch won't work right....
....Bob.....

I will attempt to get some pics of my workings ,maybe you guys will notice something out of the ordinary- that's if I can get #3 spacer off
!! I tried the other day and gave up after 45 minutes (no heat used) I can get it to turn slightly but no fwd movement yet- going out now-check back with my results, thanks everyone

ok, I managed to get #3 spacer off today, pulled out 2mm washer and 1mm washer-1mm washer has broken and according to pic in earlier post its incorrect as well, same O/D as 2mm and same I/D as #5 in pic. #3 spacer is very tight going on shaft-2mm has battle scars- Q: is there supposed to be a 1mm. washer on the outside of snap ring on kickstarter? and how much play should there be at the starter gear?(right side w/ snapring?) thinking that also could use a 1mm washer.

...Q: is there supposed to be a 1mm. washer on the outside of snap ring on kickstarter? and how much play should there be at the starter gear?(right side w/ snapring?) thinking that also could use a 1mm washer.

Yes, outside of the snapring. That shim washer for the kickstart shaft, an often missed item, is of the same dimensions as the 1st washer #1 in peanut's "clutch parts assembly" pic. In fact, they're the same part number: 131-15653-00.

The in/out play of the kickstart shaft shouldn't be more than about 1mm...

Yes, outside of the snapring. That shim washer for the kickstart shaft, an often missed item, is of the same dimensions as the 1st washer #1 in peanut's "clutch parts assembly" pic. In fact, they're the same part number: 131-15653-00.

The in/out play of the kickstart shaft shouldn't be more than about 1mm...
I seem to remember that the shim is also the same spec as the valve spring washer ;)

That clutch washer is still available. The valve washer is not. It has a different part number and if it was available, would cost 3 times as much. I don't think they're the same. But go ahead and use one if you like, it probably won't mess things up any worse than they already are. With that larger incorrect washer in there, you had the clutch bolted hard against the entire bearing in the case. The proper smaller washer allows it to only contact the inner race of that bearing and spin with it and the shaft. I'm not surprised you found the washer chewed up. My concern now would be that you may have spun that bearing in the case and it's a loose fit now.

these washers are not Yamaha xs650 specific . Any generic shim /washer with the same dimensions and spec will be just fine. ;)

I did look into this last year some time I think and 2M posted the dims of each of the shims .
I had a shim left over after my engine rebuild which I now believe was placed behind the clutch basket by the PO to space the basket off the casing. That would have meant that there was 2x 1mm thick small washers against the inner bearing instead of the usual 1x.

When i compared the spec of the shim I found it was identical to the kickstart shaft shim and also would fit under the valve springs

Back