Old Dyna ignition module

Frankenfab

icky
Reaction score
Hey fellahs.

Scored a motor I want to run today... have the harness that was with it in the bike originally and there is the Dyna points plate and brain box. Planning on tracing the connections that are needed through the harness tomorrow to see what they went to. Just curious:

Did these use the stock two coils or one coil? Stock coils at all or something aftermarket that came with the kit?
If running a simplified wiring do you basically just run power to the box and from the box to the coil or coils?

Year of the engine, what the hell is a dyna plate,if you mean it has a pickup on the stator, then it's a 1980 or newer. If you got points up in the covers, then its older. With the TCI ignition,(non points), you need a two tower coil. Only points ign. used separate coils.

- welcome frankenfab :thumbsup:

- do you have the dynatec ign?...photos are always a good start

The engine is a 78" IIRC (2FO152708).
This is where my confusion started... it's not an 80' but there are no points in the cover and it' does appear to be a non points setup. Here is a pic of the dyna:
IMG_0658.jpg

Soooo I guess they would have removed the points to install this... and used a two tower coil in unison with it?

(thanks Gordon)

Yea Frank, so I am gonna assume that it's a wasted spark style ignition, in which case you will need a two tower coil. I only see one pickup on the plate, so thats where my assumption comes from.

Frank, INXS has posted up the wiring info that should be able to answer your question's. Looks like you WILL need 2 coils., one on the left & one for the right. If you get popping when you wire them up instead of firing(running), just switch the 2 wires that go to the negative side of the coil's. The white & the green ones.

Back