Old or historic hardware stores

The first one I saw was kind of a shock. It was Mo or Ar. The bldg above was constructed as an "opera house" which very many small towns had, I assume for variety acts, theater, maybe even opera.

Here's Ken's truck moments after he didn't need it anymore...
mcelroy-was-shot-in-his-truck-in-the-middle-of-the-day-photo-u1.jpeg

"Collapsing Grain Belt Town!" So you have been to Topeka? Back to HDW stores the 1`st & 2`nd pictures have outstanding ceiling`s.:thumbsup: Can you still imagine what those creaky wooden floors sounded like? We don`t have anymore Mom & Pop hardware stores but Lawrence KS has one that still has the wooden ladder on a track to reach items stored on the upper shelves. Seems like today the so called hardware stores sell only what they want you to buy and not what you really want.:mad:

I went for a ride the other day to a little town called Byaduk, friends of ours own what used to be the towns only General Store but run it as a second hand/gift shop now.
Originally opened in 1868 it closed as a General Store in 2001. Built from local bluestone the walls are around 12" thick.

Her's a pic I found of it probably taken in the 60's I think.
ByadukStore.jpg

and one of it now.
Byaduk Store.jpg

In a week's time the temps here in Central New York rose from sub-zero to the low 50's, today.
So, it was the perfect opportunity to get Jimi The Winter Rat (my '80 XS) out for a spin.
Wanting a destination to ride to, I thought of this Old Hardware Stores thread started by Bob.
59Tebo here in CNY reminded me recently of the old Jamesville Hardware store still in existence.
It was about 25 miles away, near Jamesville lake.
Hadn't been there in maybe 20 years.
Had to park out back, as there is no longer any space in front.

KawF11Rebuild 023.JPG

The current owner, Bob Powell, has kept the building in nice shape.
KawF11Rebuild 020.JPG

He was happy to spend some time with me recounting the building's history.

KawF11Rebuild 011.JPG

In the 1800's it was a small wagon wheel factory, and then a series of stores, grocery and such, then in the 1940's a hardware store, as it has been since then.
Today it still has its original wood ceilings and creaky wood floors.

KawF11Rebuild 012.JPG

and lots of handmade cubbies for an broad assortment of hardware.

KawF11Rebuild 010.JPG

KawF11Rebuild 015.JPG

KawF11Rebuild 014.JPG

I told him I would give him my business as best I could to help keep the place alive.

I went for a ride the other day to a little town called Byaduk, friends of ours own what used to be the towns only General Store but run it as a second hand/gift shop now.
Originally opened in 1868 it closed as a General Store in 2001. Built from local bluestone the walls are around 12" thick.

Her's a pic I found of it probably taken in the 60's I think.
View attachment 134389
and one of it now.
View attachment 134390

Very nice Meddy! That’s a nice old historic building and great photos too!

In a week's time the temps here in Central New York rose from sub-zero to the low 50's, today.
So, it was the perfect opportunity to get Jimi The Winter Rat (my '80 XS) out for a spin.
Wanting a destination to ride to, I thought of this Old Hardware Stores thread started by Bob.
59Tebo here in CNY reminded me recently of the old Jamesville Hardware store still in existence.
It was about 25 miles away, near Jamesville lake.
Hadn't been there in maybe 20 years.
Had to park out back, as there is no longer any space in front.

View attachment 134491

The current owner, Bob Powell, has kept the building in nice shape.
View attachment 134492
He was happy to spend some time with me recounting the building's history.

View attachment 134493

In the 1800's it was a small wagon wheel factory, and then a series of stores, grocery and such, then in the 1940's a hardware store, as it has been since then.
Today it still has its original wood ceilings and creaky wood floors.

View attachment 134494

and lots of handmade cubbies for an broad assortment of hardware.

View attachment 134495

View attachment 134496

View attachment 134497

I told him I would give him my business as best I could to help keep the place alive.

Great find Dude! I’m very happy to see you had the opportunity to get out for a ride after all that horrendous weather you had! I really enjoy the way you introduce us to interesting characters

View attachment 134263 View attachment 134264 View attachment 134265 View attachment 134266 We still attend the Wild Cat event (they have a web site) based in Westby, Wis. Nearby is what everyone calls. the Amish Walmart...It's popular with the View attachment 134263 View attachment 134264 View attachment 134265 View attachment 134266 View attachment 134267 View attachment 134268 locals for jams, jellies.. produce... nearby the Amish host a auction... furniture.. quilts.. food.... flowers.. hardware...

Mike , I’m sorry I didn’t respond to this earlier. I don’t live anywhere near any Amish communities, but while on vacation years ago, we went to Amish country in Trail Ohio and I was really taken with the pretty countryside and farms, it was very beautiful there. I also went into a hardware store that was very much like the one you posted. It was all very cool.

Back