Old or historic hardware stores

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I love oldtime hardware stores. My favorites are the mom and pop independent stores , the kind that have towering aisles and everything under the sun in their inventory. My long deceased uncle had one in a little podunk farming town in Missouri, where I lived as a small child. It had huge walls of solid oak shelves and drawers filled with every imaginable piece of hardware that a farmer might find useful, including some specialty farming items. I don’t have any photos, but his store was similar to these,
FF164350-DF59-4DDE-BC73-FA639B51CC30.jpeg
F7F547D5-A446-499B-A78D-6B96B8C5C372.jpeg
02029309-C042-458E-ACF3-8379503C7FA8.jpeg

There was a back room that had a pot bellied cast iron stove in the middle of it and it was surrounded by chairs made of oak , and in the winter time, when the fields were bare, the local farmers used to gather in his back room and visit and smoke hand rolled cigarettes and just pass the time.

FA9430B2-D8DF-4FAB-AD3F-D8D87626A901.jpeg

By the time he had grown to be an old man, there wasn’t much left of the town. It had gone the way of so many little Midwest farming towns and simply died off. He retired and closed his store, but he was wise enough to realize the value of all those solid oak fixtures and they were sold in pieces to antique stores in far off big cities. A bit of Americana gone by the wayside.

When I get my XS2 running I am going to go in search of an old historic store that I know of, and write about it.

So I’m curious, I’ll bet some of you guys that live back east probably know of an old mom and pop store still operating. Hmmm?

By the way, have you ever noticed that you can never just get what you went to the hardware store for?
I ran to the local True Value store for about two dollars worth of stuff, and left with a new continuity tester and a bag full of assorted electrical terminals and spent about 10x more than what I went there for. They always get me, just like Harbor Freight.
DEB57953-5044-4CAA-9236-FCF65DFED516.jpeg

Vintage hardware stores are some of my favorite places on earth. Pretty much a by-gone entity in central new york, pushed out by the big box stores, but I think I know of a couple out in the country.

I remember one of those, everything you could possibly need for a farm, and upstairs they sold clothes. Every Easter there was a round pen in the front about knee level, full of colored chicks. The chicken kind. Red, green, blue, pink, orange. With a big light bulb to keep them warm. Then on the edge of town was "Farmer's Supply & Explosives". You could buy dynamite there. Not sure what kind of permit you needed at that time. Probably not much. I still have a hat from there with the store name on the front.

That continuity tester -- try this. Glance the two probes together several times as quickly and lightly as you can. It should give an audible beep no matter how brief the contact. That's important for finding real world shorts or opens as you move wires around to find an intermittent. Meters with that feature built in usually come up short.

We had one in town years ago. You entered at the counter and the owner would retrieve your order. Eccentric old guy owned it. Back in the 70’s my dad went in to buy a pair of oars from him. He had them on display for $20. He refused to sell them, because they were too expensive. Instead, he wanted to show my dad how he could make a pair himself.
My MIL told me how she went there to buy an axe handle for my FIL, who was busy cutting wood when he broke it. He told her to send her husband down, because he refused to sell a woman and axe handle. However, if you wanted it, he had it. Sadly, someone set it on fire. After the fire was out, the fire department found a 55 gallon drum of cyanide that he used to temper steel. That sent the powers that be scurrying. He probably had it for fifty years.

a 55 gallon drum of cyanide
When I was a kid about 10 I was into chemistry. In magazines there were these demos you could mix up, kind of like extended chemistry sets. To get some of the chemicals I would get a family friend who was a high school science teacher to order them. At one point I had about a 6 oz bottle of potassium cyanide, and a smaller bottle of "luminol". Luminol I found out later is some kind of powerful drug if it was the same thing, but it might not have been. The demo was mixing up a liquid that glowed in the dark. It worked. Several things wrong -- cannot imagine the science teacher giving a bottle of cyanide to a little kid, for starters. Plus I had no idea it was poison, and that might have been a good thing!

As long as they have oem quality metric bolts they got my business. I refuse to put cheap non hardened bolts on stiff I care about. There was an Ace store back in the day that carried bolts like that.

Wild Cat 13.jpg Wild Cat 12.jpg Wild Cat 9.jpg Wild Cat 14.jpg We still attend the Wild Cat event (they have a web site) based in Westby, Wis. Nearby is what everyone calls. the Amish Walmart...It's popular with the Wild Cat 13.jpg Wild Cat 12.jpg Wild Cat 9.jpg Wild Cat 14.jpg Wild Cat Amish 2.jpg Wild Cat Amish p lot.jpg locals for jams, jellies.. produce... nearby the Amish host a auction... furniture.. quilts.. food.... flowers.. hardware...

Elmo Missouri, not much left of the town.
Far North West corner of the state. Almost right on the Iowa border, in fact I was born in Clarinda Iowa and I also had relatives there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmo,_Missouri

There used to be a lot of very small farms around there. Most have been sold to a few farmers that have modernized and now work very large farms.

EDIT: the hardware store that I was referring to was in Clarinda Iowa, not Elmo. As I said I had relatives all over that area. My family had a farm in Elmo.

Last edited:
This is totally unrelated, but I think interesting. In the very nearby town of Skidmore Missouri there was a famous killing by a vigilante group. It was the subject of a book.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/732839.In_Broad_Daylight

BC2B14BF-80CC-4FF7-9251-141041C19ED6.jpeg

There was a local man who was an absolute menace to the people of this peaceful farming community. This was the heart of the Bible belt. This man would shoot through the windows of neighbors at night, killed their dogs and bullied people mercilessly, he thought he was untouchable.
My father told me the story before it was the subject of a book , because he knew some of the town folk.
One day Ken McElroy pulled into this tiny town in his pickup with his wife in the cab and before he could get out of his truck a group of men surrounded his pickup and shot him. There were many people around, but no one in town, not even McElroys wife would talk to the police. The FBI even got involved but the case was never solved. Nobody saw a thing!

“Because you can't stomp us out and you can't make us run
'Cause we're them old boys raised on shotguns
We say grace, and we say ma'am
If you ain't into that, we don't give a damn”

Hank Williams Jr. lyrics A Country Boy can Survive

Last edited:
Good story. From wiki -- "McElroy had a reputation as the "town bully," and he had fended off over 20 charges for acts of theft, rape, and other violence (often by means of witness intimidation, allegedly). In the months before his death, he was appealing a light sentence for shooting a 70-year-old grocer in the neck. Town residents had been upset over the inability of the courts to deal with him."

"Over the course of his life, McElroy was accused of dozens of felonies, including assault, child molestation, statutory rape, arson, hog and cattle rustling, and burglary."

Read this -- it's unbelievable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy

Last edited:
Elmo Missouri, not much left of the town.
Far North West corner of the state. Almost right on the Iowa border, in fact I was born in Clarinda Iowa and I also had relatives there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmo,_Missouri

There used to be a lot of very small farms around there. Most have been sold to a few farmers that have modernized and now work very large farms.

EDIT: the hardware store that I was referring to was in Clarinda Iowa, not Elmo. As I said I had relatives all over that area. My family had a farm in Elmo.
Good story. From wiki -- "McElroy had a reputation as the "town bully," and he had fended off over 20 charges for acts of theft, rape, and other violence (often by means of witness intimidation, allegedly). In the months before his death, he was appealing a light sentence for shooting a 70-year-old grocer in the neck. Town residents had been upset over the inability of the courts to deal with him."

"Over the course of his life, McElroy was accused of dozens of felonies, including assault, child molestation, statutory rape, arson, hog and cattle rustling, and burglary."

Read this -- it's unbelievable
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_McElroy
This could be a movie. It was the time of Bonnie and Clyde. Law and justice were local. The vast majority of people were decent, but officials were hogtied as the system was not cohesive. The science of criminal justice was not yet born.

Actually it is a movie. A free movie. Some interesting entries in the comments section too.

Hey that’s a good find. I’ll have to give that a view. I wonder if they stuck to reality or got creative with the story.

^Yes, and more recently a famous disappearance. If you use Google street view to check out the place it is a creepy looking town!

Last edited:
Looks prosperous. We often take a county road, small town, cross country route in our travels. Going through 7 or 8 of those collapsing "grain belt" towns gets downright depressing.

Back