Omar's tracker fiberglass I.D.s and petcock question

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
barbs.jpg

I assume this is the standard Omar's glass tank. Do the brass hose barbs just screw out, or will I destroy the glass if I try?

glass1.jpg

glass2.jpg

I assume these are standard Omar's fiberglass parts. (The fender was modified by the previous owner at the shocks.) But, I don't see these graphics on the Omar's site. Do the Omar's experts think this is a custom paint scheme? Thanks in advance.

Yes, those hose barbs are in an awkward place, which is why I'd like to know if they screw out, so I can put something different in their place.

The paint scheme is not a decal or sticker, it seems to be in the plastic. I've never seen similar paint.

I am 99% sure that they are standard screw-in barbs. But, they appear to be fiber-glassed in place. The question is if there is actually a second female fitting that is fiber-glassed in place, and the barb fitting is just screwed into it.

Watch your gas real close or signs of running poorly. My Omar's tank started coming apart from the inside and the gunk started entering my newly rebuilt engine. nightmare.
jefft

Jefft, how old is/was your Omar's tank? On the Omar's site they claim that their tanks are coated with a barrier that prevents disintegration, etc. I have no idea when they started using this coating, or if my tank has it. However, they also suggest draining the tank whenever it is not in use, which is crazy. The full disclaimer is on their site here:
http://omarsdtr.com/dirt31.html
I guess that I'll be using "Ethanol Shield," which is the brand of ethanol/fuel stabilizer that I like.

It was actually back when Phil owned the company. It was a very long process getting any help from him. Ruined my engine. Robert the new owner may have a better tank and stand by his tanks. I have steered clear of Omar's since then.

jefft

I guess that I'll be using "Ethanol Shield," which is the brand of ethanol/fuel stabilizer that I like.

I'd use ethanol-free fuel, if you can find it. We have a few stations that sell it, primarily to the lawn care and marine folks.
Mike

That is an option but what a hassle. Hoping you don't run out of gas before you get home to refill with your ethanol free blend.
jefft

The closest ethanol-free pump to Austin is at the marina in Corpus Christi, over 200 miles away. The local marinas do not have it in any form. I called the lawn care place, they have gallon containers of 92-93 octane VP ethanol-free gas for $8, except that they are out right now, and only have the VP ethanol-free pre-mix.

It looks like I have an older Omar's tank, so I assume it does not have the magic coating that is cited in the Omar's link that I posted above. So, it looks like I will be adding Ethanol Shield to my gas and draining the tank when not in use until I sell the bike and it becomes someone else's problem.

I had a new Omar's tank that came with a TT500 Yamaha project. Its petcocks were glassed in place. Never even put gas in this tank for fear of it decomposing the glass. Ended up selling off the project due to other projects.

I don't know if the Ethanol Shield will stop the ethanol from dissolving the fiberglass, but if it did, we probably would have heard about it already.
The various ethanol stabilizing products do claim to protect rubber and gaskets and diaphragms from damage.
The real problem with ethanol is that it "collects water," whatever that means, which separates, mixes with fuel varnish, and coagulates, clogging jets and passages. There's a lot more to it than that, but anyways, that, along with corrosion, is what the ethanol stabilizers are supposed to prevent.

I don't know if the Ethanol Shield will stop the ethanol from dissolving the fiberglass, but if it did, we probably would have heard about it already.
The various ethanol stabilizing products do claim to protect rubber and gaskets and diaphragms from damage.
The real problem with ethanol is that it "collects water," whatever that means, which separates, mixes with fuel varnish, and coagulates, clogging jets and passages. There's a lot more to it than that, but anyways, that, along with corrosion, is what the ethanol stabilizers are supposed to prevent.

But, if it doesn't prevent the fiberglass from dissolving, you're back to draining the tank after every ride. :shrug:
Mike

But, if it doesn't prevent the fiberglass from dissolving, you're back to draining the tank after every ride. :shrug:
Mike
Yes, I have always intended to drain the tank after each ride. That's what the Omar's link I posted above suggests, even if you have one of their new tanks with their magic coating. The Ethanol Shield probably won't help with the tank at all, but it can't hurt. And as soon as the bike gets ironed out I sell it, and it becomes someone else chore.

Too bad there is no tracker style metal tanks available for the XS. I finally got a replacement new tank from Omars after returning it 3 times to get (fixed). I promptly sold the new tank on ebay which didn't begin to cover my losses.
jefft

I talked to Robert who is the owner of Omar's today, and a nice guy.
He confirmed that I have a pretty old tank, and that it is not coated. He said that Caswell's is the only coating that works for lining a fiberglass tank and making it compatible with ethanol, so I bought a kit from him.
He also said that draining an untreated fiberglass tank after each use would not work, and that the tank would be very quickly destroyed if I tried it.

Back