Lol, that's kind of you to say but I think gggGary's will be the one!

Can't answer that yet Bob, still have to read up (more) on the process. I would think they would do all the final honing to ensure proper sizing for new oversized pistons and rings. I expect a final clean prior to assembly would be in order.

Guess we'll both find out.......lol.

Last edited:
The machine shop will stop anywhere you want, or make it ready to assemble. They can take a long time to get started on it though, as you have discovered. Once a part is in there it's a hostage and you may have to mount a rescue :) It's sort of interesting to see how they handle rebuilds in the third world, where they have few resources and depend on little bikes for transportation. That info seemed to be mainly here and there on Youtube.

Usually, I have taken the pistons to them - or had them purchase the pistons and rings to ensure a proper fit. They have all of the proper measuring tools and do that sort of thing all-day, everyday.

If you do it that way, they will clean everything up nicely and so all you'll need to do is keep things clean (the m/c shop normally would wrap the parts well) and then lube the parts up just prior to final assembly.

Pete

Last edited:
Thank you. More tips to squirrel away...

Not just tips, tools too! Hans' manual (the pictures!) and 5twins' chain riveting set arrived today. Valve spring compressor should be here tomorrow.

I've done a bunch of reading, have a list of planned work, and a parts/tools wishlist formulated. It's going to take all my will power to wait until next summer for this overhaul.

Thank you, Robin, for what I am sure is going to be a great resource of a thread. Already is, and you're barely started.

Hans' manual (the pictures!)
Ya!

Thank you Daniel but the thanks really needs to go to 5twins, 2M, gggGary, and others who are providing all the info and direction.
I'm just the librarian at this point but am getting ready to get my hands dirty.

Nervous, but excited. It's all getting clearer the more I study. When I start seeing those pictures in my dreams it will be time to start.....lol.

Ya I do have that one 2M, but my problem is I've got so much stuff and things on my mind right now, I forgot all about it. I am an incorrigible pack rat I'm afraid.

Thank you for reminding me!
I will go through it again. The more I can study the better.

When I first saw it I saved it for some day. Some day's here.

Just ordered the Hans manual, I plan to slowly start collecting the necessary tools. I spent a great deal of time going through the threads recommended by 2M today instead of working. Haha
Question, Is the timing chain breaker tool that different than the drive chain breaker and riveting tool that I already have?
My plan is to let Robin navigate through all the potholes and document his build, then I'll just glide in and make it look easy! Haha, thanks Robin!

Gee, thanks Bob. LOL. Hey I'm sure with the help of the giants here, she and I will survive and be all the better for it.
If I can help anyone else in the future by what we do here, to me that would be amazing.

Getting stuff shipped here takes awhile, so getting organized and studying.

The timing chain tool is usually smaller, with smaller breaking pins and riveting pin. But, show us yours, maybe it will do. Or maybe you can connect with Daniel and compare your tool to the cam chain one he just got. But as I said, the cam chain version is usually smaller than the drive chain version, even though the instructions may tell you it will do drive chains. I made the mistake of loaning mine to the kid down the street so he could do his drive chain. I should have known better because I know he's a real hammer mechanic. The thing came back to me looking like it had been through a war, lol. The head on the riveting pin was all fucked up. Actually, it turned out to be a good thing. I ordered some replacement Motion Pro rivet pins and they fit perfectly, and they work better because the riveting head is shaped better.

The cheap cam chain breaker/rivet tool from eBay most likely won't come with any instructions. This PDF from Motion Pro can be used .....

https://9007c0109a70412e8f84-17cbb5...ackcdn.com/articles/2557_I08-0058_10.2010.pdf

I wouldn't bother the cam chain unless it didn't have much adjustment left. Mine was okay after 60,000 mi. It spends its life bathed in oil, and the factory manual mentions it doesn't wear much. At least make sure you install one that's better than what's already there.

It does make a difference if it's stretched if you have a cam driven ignition (points, Pamco). It won't affect the TCI because it's crank driven.

Thanks xjwmx. I do think it's stretched as I have found that I run out of adjustment room, especially on the right side. So I have to get it as close as I can, then do the left side, then go back and do the right again, then the left again Might as well just do it now when I'm in there as 5twins suggests and it's not a problem in the future.

Interesting, didn't realize the TCI was different.

Yup - the later TCI bikes have the spark trigger on the crank - actually, it is mounted near the alternator brushes (curse them).

Last edited:
Ya I do have that one 2M, but my problem is I've got so much stuff and things on my mind right now, I forgot all about it. I am an incorrigible pack rat I'm afraid.

Thank you for reminding me!
I will go through it again. The more I can study the better.

When I first saw it I saved it for some day. Some day's here.

Me too. Based on a dim recollection, I've been looking for that all day! Thanks!

I know how you guyz feel. When I first joined-up, I engaged the "grab/glom/hoard" modus operandi. Overwhelming, and forgot where I stashed it all. Spent months grinding thru that stuff.

AND, out there in some dark, damp, net recesses, there's sure to be more...

Then I wouldn't replace the cam chain unless I was running out of adjustment on the points.

I bet we'd get a good price on those with a bulk order.
Travis? Lol.

I do not see the false economy in not automatically replacing something with 15,000 mi on it when it's been demonstrated to last 80,000 (on TCI at least) and it looks like new. Especially when the replacement is likely as not sub-par.

Back