Thanks gggGary. Good news. Ya no broken springs, just a couple loose ones.

Thanks Bob. I held off on the plates as well, but figured I would have to replace them. No biggie, we can still get OEM plates and they'll out last me.

It's the needle bearing that concerns me.

I'll see what others who know have to say and we'll carry on.

I have a few slightly loose springs as well. They rock just a bit in their housing, but don't spin. I decided to run them as is and put them on my 'Keep An Eye On This' list.

Great, thanks Jim. That may be the way to go.

Shipping to Canada is always a killer. 2nd ad parts in CAD are $22, shipping is $40. Man!

Appreciate the heads up buddy!

Yes, I saw that Jim and wondered if it was as good as it looks. That would be the easy way out. I can have that part delivered the day after ordering from XS650Direct, Canada's branch of Mikes or take an hour drive and pick it up at their warehouse.

I'm hoping someone will chime in here with their experience with that part before I pull the trigger on anything.

Thanks again. Man, you're my official secret shopper!

Robin, those crash bars are quite useful it turns out . Very nice work you do. Congrats on a very nice 2,400 mile riding season ! I'll bet you double that with two running XS's next season . Have fun "carb doctor extraordanair" -RT

Hi Robin: yikes - that busted roller isn’t very nice to find.

Two things:
- I’d spend a few minutes and try to reassemble that broken roller to ensure you’ve gotten all of it out.
- wait for a report from anyone before buying the Mikes bearing. It’s likely OK - but worth a second opinion.
- the clutch plates....hmmmm....I’d be tempted to get new ones.

OK that was three things. What do I know about numbers and counting. ;)

Hey Pete, I thought Enginameers were good with numbas?

I'll give that a try but do you know how small them pieces are? Lol
I will spend a little more time looking, but couldn't find any other chunks. If there were any they've likely washed out into one of the oil filters.......hopefully.

You guys find pieces of starter gear in your filters, for me it's needle bearing pieces.

I'm hoping someone will know something about this Mike's bearing. I agree with Jim and think it looks pretty good and I'm willing to give it a go. Not that big a deal to get in there to change it if need be after having been in there once. Just don't want to risk any future damage due to failure.

Ya, I think the plates are a given.

Thanks Pete. Take care.

Congrats on a very nice 2,400 mile riding season !

Thanks TM. Had a blast, enjoyed every minute. Got lots of compliments on a 'cool vintage bike'.

One Harley owner when I griped about the battery acid corroded side cover said, "Man, that bikes vintage, I'd clear coat it". Lol

Can't wait till next season. One running good will be fine, if they're both ready.....bonus!

Take care my friend.

Yes, thanks WER. Been having internet problems today, think I need a new modem. Connection keeps dropping. I did come across a couple of those threads, good reviews, just wondering if any one has any recent experiences.

Thanks for the links. Take care.

Ok, thank you WER, I appreciate that.
I haven't read any bad reviews about this part yet, so may just give it a go.

Will let you know. Thanks again!

You didn't ask but put me in gggG's column when it comes to using the OEM plates. Do you really want to use plates you can imprint with your fingernail?

Well, WER, I guess I'm not sure whether these need to be replaced or not and if so what plates to use.
First time I've been into one of these clutches.
They certainly aren't worn too much, don't smell burnt, but are hard.
I haven't had any clutch problems so maybe they're ok. Just found this needle bearing issue when getting to the starter gear.

Have read here recently on another thread that a fingernail should leave an impression.
Mine are too hard for that so figured they needed replacing.

I always like to use OEM parts when I can but am willing to admit I don't know anything about these so am open to all suggestions.

Back