Pics 3 and 4 are well balanced and there should be little to no distortion in the bolts when there is non in the width of the guide

Last edited:
No - I think you’re right Robin.

The parts are not correct - but determining the details would require some careful measurements with precision tools and MikesXS suppliers will be able to do that now that the issues have been pointed out.

Stick at it - as I said, these folks want to get it right and I think that they will.

Pete

Last edited:
My take on it from my engineering/carpenter/artist/Tech Drawing eye. Bolts are all up the shit and worse on the old guide..........
Bolts are parallel......

IMG_20180327_200556.jpg

Now they're not......

IMG_20180327_200604.jpg

Bolts are parallel.....

IMG_20180327_200630.jpg

Now they're not.....

IMG_20180327_200625.jpg

Camera perspective distortion....

Robin you're giving up pretty easy. I thought that his was still being worked on, if you sent it in, perhaps some follow up pics will help clarify the issue for the vender.

This is basic tech drawing 101
So is this....

IMG_20180327_152258 copy.jpg a.jpg

Using your doctored pic.... The mating face is angled "towards the camera." That means the bolt heads are "closer" to the lens than the guide is. Hence... camera perspective error. Since it's an extreme closeup, the error is magnified...
Bottom line, I'm holding both parts in my hand. I can promise you with absolute certainty..... the bolts are parallel.

Skull's point is the pics to the vender need to show PRECISELY the actual problem. Jim in less time than you've spent already you could have excellent pics showing the exact issue. You don't want them to say these guys DKS the bolts are parallel. Trust me in tech correspondence if there is ANY possible way to misinterpret a drawing, that is exactly what will happen. With your aviation background you know what I mean Jim.

.....in less time than you've spent already you could have excellent pics showing the exact issue.
I think Robins pics do show the exact issue(s) Gary, they show the incorrect casting angle and the hole angle... pretty well in my opinion. So the exact issues are covered. Perhaps Robin should have also told them not to worry about the camera distortion and that the bolts are indeed parallel... and he can still send them an amended mail telling them that?
Tell ya what, when I send Mikes my bad one, I'll do my best to send them pics without the camera distortion. That make everyone happy? :)

I'm happy :sneaky:. guess I haven't been right on this, so the 650 direct guide is a different piece than the mikes?

Not sure what else I can do gggGary. I'm using a phone camera to try and show them the differences. The pics I attached were mine and Jim's both showing the same discrepancies.

While pics 3 and 4 do show a distortion due to perspective I think pics 1,2, 5&6 illustrate the issue?

Maybe Jim can better capture and explain the problem in his letter. At least I have started the dialogue, perhaps he can do a better job of capturing it on film.....so to speak.

I think they are likely guides from the same batch gggGary.

We get parts in Canada from the Canadian branch of Mike's which is XS650Direct. We cannot order from MikesXS but have to order from XS650Direct.

.....so the 650 direct guide is a different piece than the mikes?
I believe they're the same. Robins pics are a mish mash of his XS Direct guide and pics of my Mikes guide. Maybe that threw you off. Mine are the ones on the wooden bench.

Ahso.
The threads in the mikes guide from 2013 were piss poor also. I ended up rethreading them with a bottoming tap but have never used the guide LOL.

Wonder if LeGrande is still the middle man. I talked with him a bit about the time he sold MikesXS he liked traveling to China and didn't like dealing with retail customers.

From my contacts (including a number of visits to their Stratford Ontario warehouse) with XS650 Direct, they were once a division of MikesXS, but are now a separate company.

However, they have the same offerings and identical part numbers and website layout. They buy all of their parts from MikesXS and seem to have a marketing agreement with MikesXS that makes Canada and the US distinct territories.

I have bought from both and the service is similar (XSDirect shipping is faster - like under 24 hours to my front porch) and the prices are comparable. The only reason I bought from Mikes was that XSDirect was out of stock on a key part that I needed at the time. Soooo...I used my US shipping address and wah-la but it took much longer to get there.

As I’ve said, I have found them to be good to deal with and their products are generally OK. They were certainly responsive on the starter clip problem - once I showed them the specific issue and explained the fix.

Pete

Last edited:
Back