Ontario Safety Standards?

cooperxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm embarking on a first time project and plan on turning a 79 Special into a cafe racer. I'm interested in other builders from Ontario and their experience getting a completed project certified as road worthy. What are the minimums / allowed modifications to an already certified street bike that will pass? I see some projects here that look great, but, I doubt they would get through a safety inspection in Ontario (no turn indicators, chain guard etc.). Anyone have experience going through the process after a build?

Thanks

Cooperxs650

Ontario here too, just east of the Rouge. My plan would be to certify the bike stock and put ownership in my name and then start building. Your completed build then would not have to be inspected as it is already in your name. That does not mean you have carte blanche and your final product can ignore the HTA, you still need a front fender, chain guard, etc., etc, but you could get a bit grey rather black letter law.

Yeah - front fender, although the safety standard doesn't say what size. It also says "where originally installed" you must have passenger foot pegs. http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_900611_e.htm#BK13 Check here under schedule 6. To me, there's lots of leeway. Nothing on size, shape intensity of indicators or brake lights. Nothing on license plate location. Not that I want to build an unsafe bike, but, how many cagers pay attention to the turn indicators anyway?! About all I want is a real bright brake light, and, I'd stick the license plate to the bottom of the oil pan if I could get a way with it.

I'll have a problem with the passenger pegs as well. Ive installed a Biltwell seat and cut the back half off my frame. A passenger would need to stand on the pegs if they wanted to go for a ride.

Where in Ontario?

Best bet is to always safety the bike first, before you start on a project, if that's possible.

I have an XS650 cafe with no mirrors, no signals, no fenders and no chainguard. I've been pulled over any number of times, but only because my license plate is too horizontal. They've never made mention of my lack of other 'bits' but that could be partly due to the fact I'm in my 40's and once they see the bike is 40 years old and I'm not likely trying to hide from the police, they tell me to fix the plate and let me go.

There are different opinions on the topic of signals - some shops say they are not needed for a safety as you can legally hand signal. Others say if the bike originally came with them you need them. So call your local safety cert places and ask them.

If you're in the GTA go see Ted Rose at Rosey Toes for a safety.

Hey I as well am planning on building a cafe racer in Ontario (GTA. The bike I am planning on buying is a non-runner, so I was planning on modifying everything as i went through the engine. This would mean i wouldn't be able to safety the bike until after everything was complete. The only non-legal thing i can think of doing is removing the rear fender. I would then have a cafe-racer style tail with the license plate hanging down from a bracket situation across (as a cars would). Would this count as a rear fender? Or would i need to leave the rear fender on until after the safety check?

I believe you only need the passenger pegs if the seat will accommodate a passenger. If it’s a solo seat no pegs. Do your bikes need to do emissions testing in Ontario? Removal of the original “stock” exhaust might be an issue.

I believe you only need the passenger pegs if the seat will accommodate a passenger. If it's a solo seat no pegs. Do your bikes need to do emissions testing in Ontario? Removal of the original "stock"exhaust might be an issue.

As for a fender, I've got a 79 that has the plastic guard between the engine and the fender. I plan on leaving that on the bike (you can't really see it and it does keep the engine clean) and I'm regarding that thing as a fender! For the front, a fork brace will do - that's just a real small fender, right? I'll leave the original fender attachment points on the frame just in case I have to put the "real" fender back on.

No emissions testing in Ontario, but, Premier Dad seems to be passing new legislation on a regular basis, and, if he thinks he can score some brownie points with the soccer moms, we may well see something in the future. Some towns (Oakville) are passing noise by laws targeting bikes.

I think the best course of action for me is to find a mechanic and have a talk with him before I start cutting, then, when I turn up with the bike, there will be no surprises.

I started my bike when I was in Ontario and finished it in Alberta. If I were to do it again I would mock up the bike for final paint and then get it inspected before paint and finish. That way if you need to change or weld something it won't be a huge issue.

Back