Opening the Gas Cap Without a Key

Take Warning15

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
How can it be done without doing any damage. I tried to pick it, but couldn't. Any tricks? I have searched on the forum but haven't found anything that has worked yet. I know I can replace the key, but I want to ride tomorrow and it needs gas!

You need to define witch gas cap you have for a starters, there were 4 different types thorough the life of the XS650.

This has been discussed heaps of times.

I typed:" How to open a gas cap without a key" into google search and this came up

Think you will find the 75 gas cap, (same as the 73-75), cant be picked, as in forcing the latch as later models can be. There should be numbers on the face, (where the key goes in), and they can be used to get another key cut.

For starters, I'm a locksmith. Anything that uses a key to open it can be picked. Your gas cap might have an aggressive biting that is making it difficult for an amateur to pick. Take it to a locksmith to open it for you and have a new key created. If it does have numbers on the lock cylinder face, we can use those numbers to generate a key for you. Tell me the numbers and I'll run it through the software for you and PM you your key code.

Last edited:
Think you will find the 75 gas cap, (same as the 73-75), cant be picked, as in forcing the latch as later models can be. There should be numbers on the face, (where the key goes in), and they can be used to get another key cut.

For starters, I'm a locksmith. Anything that uses a key to open it can be picked. Your gas cap might have an aggressive biting that is making it difficult for an amateur to pick. Take it to a locksmith to open it for you and have a new key created. If it does have numbers on the lock cylinder need face, we can use those numbers to generate a key for you. Tell me the numbers and I'll run it through the software for you and PM you your key code.

Read what i said. "cant be picked, as in forcing the latch like later models.

Of course, i would assume, any lock can be picked if they have tumblers

Some forum member suggested using the stainless steel strip from a windshield wiper blade. It is thin and should work a treat.

Posted via Mobile

I have tried to pick that lock before and no luck and I have a very good pick set. Go to a lock smith in Philly and it could be $100.00 for them to do it. Last one I did I just broke it with a screw driver and it was cheaper to buy a new one. I did find that you need to hold cap down to get the tumblers to move. Not easy for someone with no lock smith experience. That is a art form.

My 74, (same gas cap), has the key no on the face where the key slots in. No need to spend $100, a locksmith can work from those numbers and if it costs more than $25 then your being ripped off

I used a slim screw driver to push aside the latch. Once I got the cap open I removed the lock from the cap and with pliers I pulled out all of the tumblers. Now any key may open the cap. The cost $0.00. Tony C.

Posted via Mobile

I have a 75, use something thin, like a hack saw blade with the teeth d ground off. Slide it in between the cap and the part where the key goes in. As you slide the blade in press the cap down slightly. This releases the pressure on the catch. As the blade slides in it pushes the catch enough so the cap opens. Once open, you remove the lock part, dissemble the tumblers and chuck them out. reassemble the lock with out the tumblers and most any thing will open the lock.
Any key, a knife blade.
The same tool works on the later caps that the key goes down into the lock but you use it from the front and at the bottom.
Leo

The "tumblers" on these locks are actually sliding plates with different height rectangles cut into them to match the various key notches. Many times you can just switch them around to match up to the key you have. Or sometimes you can file the rectangle opening "taller" to get it to work. Or you can leave the plates that don't match out. The lock won't be quite as secure with less plates but will still function.

Back