Operation Street Tracker

I have been figuring out how to complete the disc brake conversion with the little time I have had lately. The brake lever shaft that goes through the frame, I knew were different from the drum to disc. I had picked up one on ebay a while back and here are some picture of the two side by side.

You could modify the drum brake lever shaft to work by cutting it and adding an hiem joint rod assembly to go up into the master cylinder but I chose to just change to the disc brake lever. The other thing you will have to deal with is the brake lever stop that holds the pedal in position is rotationally located in the same place but with the offset in the lever arm the side to side is different, the adjusting screw bracket on the frame will not meet up with the brake lever at the stop location. Even if I were to place the master cylinder directly against the frame it still would not make it which would not be good, I chose to leave 1/8" space between the master cylinder and the frame. So I will have to make a new bracket for the adjusting screw which is no big deal but not something that I have read about in doing searches here on the conversion to disc brakes.

I have also made brackets for the master cylinder that are just like the stock mounts to weld to the frame 1/2" diameter stock by 1-3/8" long drilled for the bolts to go through no pictures of those yet. I will cut the return spring stud off its current location and weld it where you see the spring hanging down. The return springs are different and the brake light switch spring are in different locations as well. Pregrid had drilled a hole and placed a nutsert and bolt on his for the return spring. Having never seen one or have a setup to look at I want to thank Pregrid for all of the great pictures on his build thread. They have proven to be very helpful for me, thanks Dave :thumbsup:

Should have some good time the rest of this week and weekend to get some stuff done. Still trying to finish the garage up also I am getting all of my tools like the drill press, grinder, vise and welder all mounted on stands so I can use them. Then I can do all of the frame modifications, fabricating battery box, and drill the rotors out.

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

gettin' there. I recommend you use a hydraulic brake light switch (I did and it works great, no spring either). Mike's has them.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/29-7002.html

+1 on the hyd switch. Have used them on dual sport conversions for years. Can use them on the rear m/c and the front as well. I used to be able to find 90 degree offset ones for the front which were really nice. Seem hard to find now.

That's how I did mine, including the hydraulic brake light switch. The switch will allow a smal amount of 'mush' in the pedal feel, but it's not a big deal.

Getting the right bend in the lever was a beeyotch! I also welded a tab with a nut to the frame cross tube and that has a 6mm bolt in it as a positive pedal stop. It also allows adjusting the pedal height.

I set the pedal height where I wanted it, then loosened the pushrod locknut, turned the pushrod out with my fingers till the slack was gone, then backed off about 1/16th of a turn and locked it down.

It was best described on the movie On Any Sunday. Guts, balls are what ever you want to call it, it is intense and when the green flag drops slow motion takes place and running out of talent or unloading does not cross your mind, of course until something un wanted arises then its instinct to save it at that point and where all talent and luck you can gather becomes very useful! Something to watch and respect for sure.

have you seen this vid of a xs650 street legal flat tracker ?
worth persevering with:wink2:

Pregid, cool pic thanks for adding it here.

Peanut, damn gonna have to see the video when I get home to my laptop, youtube wont let me see it on my mobile :wtf:

I have not posted in a while been sidetracked but I have sent the cases and covers and calibers and rear master cylinder off to get polished by H&H here is what I sent them and I will post some pic when they get back.

Attachments

• IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 201
I have completed converting the rear drum brake to the stock disc brake set up and so today I went ahead and drilled my rotors man that takes some time. I would suggest planning a whole day for this because it is immediately followed by a mandatory garage cleaning. Better yet have someone else do it! There was crap all over the place and I had even tried to curtail it, but it is all done here is what it looks like.

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

So the garage was such a mess you took these pics in the living room?

I've been in hospital ER's that weren't that clean!!

I have completed converting the rear drum brake to the stock disc brake set up and so today I went ahead and drilled my rotors man that takes some time. I would suggest planning a whole day for this because it is immediately followed by a mandatory garage cleaning. Better yet have someone else do it! There was crap all over the place and I had even tried to curtail it, but it is all done here is what it looks like.

View attachment 22114

View attachment 22115

View attachment 22116

Back