Opinions on Exhaust styles Please.....

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
Im going to be replacing my exhaust soon and am looking at ideas. I have a few that i like. Im looking for your opinions on what looks best and what may be best for my setup. Bike was and will be again my daily rider. Mine is the red and white No. 96. The others are styles I like. Was originally going with straight headers like what I have pictured or like what Hugh is selling now. I do like the Cafe style, not quite as high of a kick though, and I really like the curved drags but am concerned about them being too high for me. Probably not a justifed concern and I wont be scurbbing em on the ground either. I will likely apply heat wrap to any of the pipes. I want a little more white to match the tank and fender.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Attachments

• Full Bike.jpg
    Full Bike.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 256
  • Cafe Racer Pipes.jpg
    Cafe Racer Pipes.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Head Pipes with Mufflers.jpg
    Head Pipes with Mufflers.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 244
  • Curved Drag Pipes.jpg
    Curved Drag Pipes.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 271
Im going to be replacing my exhaust soon and am looking at ideas. I have a few that i like. Im looking for your opinions on what looks best and what may be best for my setup. Bike was and will be again my daily rider. Mine is the red and white No. 96. The others are styles I like. Was originally going with straight headers like what I have pictured or like what Hugh is selling now. I do like the Cafe style, not quite as high of a kick though, and I really like the curved drags but am concerned about them being too high for me. Probably not a justifed concern and I wont be scurbbing em on the ground either. I will likely apply heat wrap to any of the pipes. I want a little more white to match the tank and fender.

Thanks for the input everyone.
hi,,, i really like the pipes in pic 4with the curved pipes are the gordon scotts made pipes regards oldbiker

Personally, I love these pipes from Gordon Scott. I think they would look pretty good on your bike. They'll probably be what I'm going to get when I'm ready... Just my :twocents:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 189
I just received the cafe pipes from Scott and they turned out super awesome, he's a great guy to deal with. Also, if you don't like the angle of the 'kick' so much you can ask scott to change it - mine is a slightly more obtuse angle to accomodate for rear sets.

Scott does excellent work. I know I cant go wrong there, I just have to decide on the style I want. Or to do something custom. I really like those curved drag pipes, but my calves are allergic to burns...

Ok. Here is a fun diagram for anyone who wants to take the time to draw up any ideas for me. Just open the digram in Paint and go to town. I've posted one as an example. Custom pipes designed by you.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Exhaust Ideas.png
    Exhaust Ideas.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Exhaust Idea 1.jpg
    Exhaust Idea 1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 139
My pipes now have a leak where the 2 headers join to the muffler. I've welded it but there isnt much left I can do with it. It drags when I turn right and will be a consistant problem grinding my welds back off. Plus they are custom and the PO didnt do the best job of making sure it all mates well with the exhaust ports. They look pretty good, but poor functionality. Shitty welds too, just gettin me by.

Attachments

• IMAG0261.jpg
    IMAG0261.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Exhaust 1.jpg
    Exhaust 1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 128
in that case I would go with # 2 with slightly less up kick . You could get the large diameter performance pipes and the torque optimizer inserts , as long as you don't want to carry passengers they would work .

Very rarely need to carry a passenger, but my wife does want to ride along sometimes. Short slow trips. Shes not THAT brave. I've got an idea im working on and will post details soon as I can.

How about this. Down in front, under the engine and up and out the sides behind the engine. Hot foot pegs for the passenger though......Ahh screw em. They can stick their legs out.

Not sure if it will work due to the brake assembly and chain and all that stuff.

Attachments

• Full Bike Exhaust Idea.jpg
    Full Bike Exhaust Idea.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 181
  • Custom Exhaust Idea.png
    Custom Exhaust Idea.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 137
"in that case I would go with # 2 with slightly less up kick . You could get the large diameter performance pipes and the torque optimizer inserts , as long as you don't want to carry passengers they would work" They will work with pass pegs with less up sweep on the mufflers. Also no torque optimizers needed with correct size tube. "How about this. Down in front, under the engine and up and out the sides behind the engine. Hot foot pegs for the passenger though......Ahh screw em. They can stick their legs out. Not sure if it will work due to the brake assembly and chain and all that stuff." The pipes have to come together under the engine to clear the kickstand assembly. You can come out the sides. I just made this 2into1 that goes under the bike, can do same thing with two pipes.
cimg9296.jpg
cimg9300.jpg

Last edited:
" The pipes have to come together under the engine to clear the kickstand assembly. You can come out the sides."

Looks like they run together under the right side of the engine. Then they could flare out one or both sides. Correct? Im going to look it over and think about it. I sure do like those curved drag pipes though. They are High on the list. Great work Mr. Scott. And I appreciate your comments. Expert advise is always useful !

:D Hey that's my bike in Pic 3. Glad to see someone else like it ha. I think you know my input. But I fell in love with the headers on these bikes long ago. That's why I kept them.

Andy,
Im still deciding. I think Im going to go with something like Gscott has pictured above, but cut off near the frame with turn outs that go out and up, like a hot rod. Baffles. No mufflers. I really like the curved drags, but i dont think they would be practical for being a daily rider. Im on the fence with those.

Just yesterday a buddy from work brought me a pair of headers off his old xs650. They are open pipes with turnouts welded on under the foot controls. Ugly as sin, splottched with purple paint and chrome turnouts. Im interested to see how they sound. I'll post pictures later tonight when i get home. How she runs with these will help me decide what im going to do.

:D Hey that's my bike in Pic 3. Glad to see someone else like it ha. I think you know my input. But I fell in love with the headers on these bikes long ago. That's why I kept them.

:thumbsup:

That style was my original idea when I got the bike. Still on the table.

Back