Options for aftermarket gauges

poorman9

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got a 81 XS650H that I'm in the process of building.

I'm looking to get some custom gauges setup, I've seen all the stuff on MikesXS, nothing to impressive for the prices.

Would something like this work on my bike - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140503298171&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1454wt_941

I'm wondering if I'll run into any issues buying after market gauges that weren't specifically designed for an XS?

Also, if anybody knows any cool mini or all-in-one speedos or tachs, I'd love to see them.

Check out this awesome gauge from motogadget.
Too bad it's 479 euros!

chc_10_b_300.jpg

I used Mike's gauges on mine with a home made bracket. Working good so far. Be careful of speedo's marked for Harley's, I think they have a different ratio but not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0905 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0905 (800x600).jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 1,287
the speedo in photos from ebay is just like mikes that i got but mine has trip meter on it havent put but 11 miles since i got it but it seems to do the job and its lighted for night use and it was bout 49 or 59 dollars:thumbsup:

Acewell instruments are available in the US at www.electrosport.com . At the upper end of things, see Nonlinear Engineering's data logger at www.veypor.com . I have both an Acewell tach/speedo unit and a Veypor data logger (not the same thing as Trail Tech's Vapor). The Veypor instrument has variable signal damping to reduce spiking when hooked up to the ignition coil. The Acewell does not. To get steady readings with the Acewell I replaced the tach signal wire with a piece of coaxial cable and spliced in two 1 megohm resistors at the coil hookup. Works great. In both the Acewell and the Veypor, the tach function is programmable for pulses per revolution: .5 for dual coils, 1 for double output single coil setup. In both again, the speedo function is programmable for rolling diameter of the tire; 0.1" increments for the Veypor, 1 mm. increments for the Acewell.

Of the two, the Acewell is not only less expensive but also less touchy, once you get tach signal damping managed.

Those ebay gauges are $60 for a set, which is much closer to the amount of money I'd like to spend. crazyazsredneck sounds like they'd wire right up?

I think any full digital gauges are going to be well out of my price range.

I guess my overall question is, am I limited to the gauges on MikeXS, knowing that they're XS compatible or is it a pretty safe bet that most after market gauges will work?

Saw this one, kinda liked it because the idea of rpm & mph together. I doubt it works with a XS, but it just caught my eye. :shrug:

Attachments

• 730-648_A[1].jpg
    730-648_A[1].jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 848
Have to second the TrailTech recommendation if you are considering using digital ones.
They are very well made, look great, supposedly easy to install, and are priced reasonably. They also have optional add ons and different installation kits to place the unit many ways on your bike. I have no personal experience with the company but I have seen many favorable comments on several bike forums. I'm planning on using one of their kits on my next build.

On the Harleys It's not so much tire size but where it gets it's input. Some use the front wheel some hook in the tranny. Some of the very early speedos got there drive from a small sprocket that engaged the drive chain.

ACEWELL Gauge fitted over standard headlight, I fabricated the mount plate

Has speedo and tacho plus idiot lights in a neat package

cheers

Attachments

• IMG00045-20101123-1912.jpg
    IMG00045-20101123-1912.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG00163-20100720-2045.jpg
    IMG00163-20100720-2045.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 747
For anybody interested, check this page to see how the gauge looks on the bike:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10291

Thanks for the help everybody.

Did this speedo/ tach end up connecting/ functioning w/ out a hitch for you? I'm in the midst of a similar build and need to sort out gauges. Might even opt for tiny tach only.

Also...can you program existing odometer reading into it so you don't lose track of orig miles?

Thanks!

Last edited:
The speedo works great, but the tach...I can't get the damn thing to work, it has three wires coming out the back of it. One is a ground, one is supposed to be 12v in, the instructions say use any light or accessory circuit. And then there's a "sig" terminal. Which is obviously where it gets it's signal from the coil. I've hooked it to the negative side of the coil, like the instructions say, and I can't get it to do anything. Also tried the positive side, and several other combinations, but couldn't get it to do anything more than flutter a bit.

So, I'm not sure if mine's dead, I don't know how to hook it up, or if it just doesn't work with an XS.

And then there's a "sig" terminal. Which is obviously where it gets it's signal from the coil. I've hooked it to the negative side of the coil, like the instructions say, and I can't get it to do anything. Also tried the positive side, and several other combinations, but couldn't get it to do anything more than flutter a bit.
Poorman the the acewell picks up from the spark plug lead, you just coil the sig wire from the tacho ~ 5-6 times around one of the spark plug leads, acts like a timing light pick up
Have you tried this?
cheers

Hu no, I haven't tried that, I will though.

You just wrap it around it a few time and tape it up? You don't need to strip the insulation off or anything?

Hu no, I haven't tried that, I will though.

You just wrap it around it a few time and tape it up? You don't need to strip the insulation off or anything?

Cool! Let me know how that works. Holding on buying this one to see what's what. How do you find the size of the unit? Not too cumbersome?

Yeah I'll give it a try tonight after work and report back.

I love the way to gauge looks, I think it complements the big ol stock headlight. It's definitely not the mini style that a lot of people like, but I was going for more of a vintage look.

IMG_2598.jpg

Back