ORIGINAL 1970 xs1 found in factory packing crate

I really like the look of this bike and I think you guys did a great job with it. Really digging the Wassel sitting down low right on top of the engine.

If you don't mind me asking, what is envolved when you leave the triangular ugly plates in place? Do you cut them out and then weld them back in later after the hardtail has been installed or do you work around them and the TC tail just lines up?

I've been wondering the same thing for a while......
Cut and paste...
or cut to fit

Tips -
1) On the frame, there is a brace that is perdendicular to the side supports. It is under the engine. It is the "bar/tubing" that has the centerstand return spring attached to it. Most people cut this off because it is not needed with most hardtails. I leave it in place and cut in the middle of this piece from front to back on both sides of the back bone/rear engine mount. This piece attaches directly to the side supports. When you remove the side supports, the cut part of this piece will still be attached to them. When you put the side supports back on, there is no guessing where they go because they will line right up with your cuts. A TC Bros frame will fit right under this cross bar and you can even weld it to the tc bros crossbar to add strength. A fraction of an inch too far forward and you will never get your engine back in.
2) You will have to make many filler pieces to get the side supports to actually connect to the lower frame rails of a hardtail
3) You will need to fishmouth the upper side supports and/or make pieces to get them to line up with the upper rails of the hardtail.
4)It will take you 3 times as long to do a frame this way than just adding a hardtail. I usually estimate 35 to 40 hours of cutting,fab,welding, and finishing to get a frame together.

I can't believe I just spent 20 minutes of my life reading this entire thread when I should have stopped after the first page.... Fong, your shop turns out some nice bikes, not quite my cup of tea, but if you like them, and you can continually sell them off to fund the next build, more power to ya! I am building my first ever complete bike, and I know some will hate it, some will love it.

As for all the ass-baggery here with the personal attacks and name calling: I gues some people never advance past 7th grade mentality..

AceofSpades, I'm just as guilty of reading this whole thing! But I'm even worse because I came in on page 3! :D

Love the bike and got the Joke! It was funny! :thumbsup:

Not sure where I fit in on the name calling? I'm a bald, Guinness drinking, sushi eating redneck with a huge goatie that can appreciate all bike builds! :wtf:

Transvestite hippie (maybe a kilt and a beard)! :shrug:

As for advertising? I'll throw in a bump just to stir the pot! :laugh:

Back