Oversized Oil Sump

ReycleBill

Part Time Tyrannicide
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished ordering a pressure side (right engine casing) spin on oil filter kit for my XS and was wondering what others might think of removing the sump filter altogether and replacing it with an over-sized oil sump. Any thoughts?

An oversized sump really isn't going to buy you anything unless you're planning on racing it. For normal, or even spirited street riding, the stock sump is more than adequate. On the other hand, if it's something you want to do, it certainly won't hurt anything.

DLD1

I wouldn't remove the sump filter. It keeps any debris large enough to damage the pump out of the pump. The larger sump won't hurt but no filter might.

I wouldn't remove the sump filter. It keeps any debris large enough to damage the pump out of the pump. The larger sump won't hurt but no filter might.

I think that was the answer I'm looking for. I haven't been inside the XSs enough to know how everything flows so I ask questions. I may still look into a larger sump as a means to get more cooling air around the oil (perhaps some sort of lowered sump with cooling fins that extend below the bike and a scoop(s) to move more air through the fins) but I'll retain some form of filter there.

I think for the time & money involved. You'd be far better adding a oil cooler!

Yes, I agree, an oil cooler is the way to go. It takes maybe an hour to mod the right side engine cover to hook the cooler in. One like Mike's sells will cool the oil about 45 degrees.
I use one from an 82 Seca. Shop around on Ebay, you may find a cooler off a bke for less than Mike's sells his for. Mike's $45 price is pretty good though.

what is the process for adding one. As in what do you have to do to the cover?

looked in the tech section, i seen some people do the line right off of the round filter cover, and some tap into the big cover, whats the difference?

Last edited:
Actually, I've already found the oil cooler and I'm planning to install it. I was just thinking that more oil is always better.

what is the process for adding one. As in what do you have to do to the cover?

Are you speaking of my idea for a larger sump or the oil cooler? I've yet to do either but I'm learning.

Back