PAGING XS LEO PMA NO CHARGE

RyanXS

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
bike is a 1978 xs650 chop. I run hughs pma kit and have for the last 4 years, no issues best money I ever spent. Two weeks ago, I had my coil mount snap, xs performance coil. Bike started misfiring but I got it home fixed it and replaced the coil with a new green one, bike was fine went for a nice 3-4 hour ride. 3 days later, bike starts running like shit under load, grab a whole bunch of throttle and would just sputter and back fire intermittently, realized my headlight was dim and the battery was dying. Charged it up, bike fired right up, but not charging, I expected the regulator first as I had it mounted in my fake oil tank and I was getting open loop when testing all the yellow wires. Replaced it mounted it securely on the frame, green to ground red to positive on the battery, how I've always run it for years with no issues. Still no change. So I inspected the stator AGAIN, because I checked it when I checked the original stator, I had 18 or so AC volts with the bike running idiling with the choke on, would go up to almost 40 reving it. Resistances read .4-.5 on 2 terminals and .9 on the other. To me that seemed like maybe the stator was going bad, Hugh agreed maybe, so I went ahead and ordered a new stator as well. Nothing no change. I read in a thread on here searching for answers about no charge with pma, and Leo had asked wether the person was reading voltage between the negative terminal on the battery and the ground for the regulator and I am!!!! 18 volts positive on the ground for the regulator (green) the thread died after that, so I couldn't even find why Leo asked that or what it means if that's happening.

SO no charge with pma kit, replaced regulator and stator with brand new. Reading positive voltage at ground for the regulator. No charge at all. I have my whole wiring harness apart, which is nothing because I only run headlight and tail/brake which are all halogen, and then pamco ignition and e advance with the pma. I have no broken or chafed wiring all grounds are good, continuity tests check out on everything, and I even replaced my key switch for shits and giggles per hughs request still nothing I'm pulling my fucking hair out trying to be riding more than ten miles before I gotta turn around and go home at risk of getting stranded PLEASE HELP

Thanks ryan

Attachments

• IMG_6064.JPG
    IMG_6064.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 93
Back