Paint for the frame?

motorbreath

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Could i get some opinions on painting the frame with Rustoleum lacquer paint, im thinking of using it but just wanted to get some opinions:D

It's not the toughest paint in the world, so expect it to take damage from rocks and grit hitting it over time. The nice thing about that is since it's off the shelf paint, you can find it anywhere and do touch up for cheap. I'm guessing flat or satin black?

I used the Spraymax 2k epoxy in a spray can on the last bike. It is pricey and you need to take precautions as far as self protection and mask for over spray. Super tough stuff. Bitch to clean off anything once cured. Dries super hard. Almost acts like powdercoat. It sprays pretty thick though and you use lots when doing a frame due to overspray. I had 2 cans and came up short.

I did use the Rustoleum Professional Series spray paint recently. It can be bought at Home Depot in the taller cans. It lays on real nice. I shot gloss black and it really went on wet and left a nice shine. I've used ACE Hardware Satin Black too. It is the only spray can, 1 part paint I found that holds up to gas. Once cured you can take a gas soaked rag and rub it down and nothing comes off. No other 1 part paint can do that. Price is right too. A few choices to think about.

Look for the most durable paint you can find. There used to be epoxy paint, but I haven't noticed it in awhile. I painted my upper yoke with farm implement paint expecting it to not chip from my key ring, but didn't work. Some lacquers bubble up over enamel.

edit:
^I used the Spraymax 2k epoxy

epoxy, there you go.

well i painted a tensinor to see how it looks, lightings not that good but its a gloss, and tell me what u think 148857_1646501119188_1136703026_31718602_6423693_n.jpg

It will all look good. The question is how will it look a year after a gravel hits it.

It looks good, but I don't think you'll like how it wears. I used the gloss on my trees and I'm going to take it off. It doesn't cure and ends up way too soft, at least in my opinion.

i was going to paint my trees to with it, i really want something in a gloss though, i tried the truck bed coating but i didnt like the texture

Have you got a spray gun? If so, use real paint. (PPG, Dupont, etc.) Yes, it costs more, but it will look great and last. It's worth using good paint on something you put a lot of work into.

I do have spray guns, but i just lost my job so i cant buy paint right now. I was hoping to get this all done b4 spring so i could ride, but might have to post pone that

Sorry to hear about your job loss. Might be worth the wait to paint it right though. Rather than having to have to do it again.

If you are working on a budget then use the Rustoleum. It will look good. Prepping and priming everything right with help lots. Put some miles on it and do it again when yu get the bucks later. Even big money paint jobs get chipped, scratched and re done. Just getting ready to ride is the important part first.

I used the Rustoleum Professional Series spray paint recently (about 1 year) and i have very few issues. about 2 cans and $15 and 20 mins and your done. Flat black works fine for me and chips and touched them up.

What these guys said. The nice thing about cheap paint is it comes right off, and you can just keep doing it over again if you need to. Touch up is cheap, and you can always do a better job later.

I'm going to have to do some testing with the Rustoleum Pro Series. Thanks for the info, guys.

As an automotive painter for a living I would suggest a 2k urethane single stage such as Omni (ppgs cheaper line). You can buy a quart setup for about 30 dollars give or take what jobber you get it from. That would be more than enough to do your frame and any other brackets etc...

Black is a pretty inexpensive color so if you can scrape up a few extra bucks might as well go for the good stuff (within reason).. and being that this is a 2k product its pretty durable to stone chips and scratches and is super shiny as well..if thats what you like

good luck!

There is a rattle can "epoxy" (I dont understand how it can be an epoxy not being a 2 part) but they do, called PJ1 it comes in all finishes and colors. It is tuff as hell and very affordable at $8.50 a can. the only down side of this product is that you cant really touch it up because it wants to crinkle and lift existing "epoxy" paint surfaces. Rustoleam has decent finish but is very "brittle". I used a MartinSenour acylic enamel single stage on my frame and it HAS performed very well and I bought the quart of paint and hardner for about $30.00 dollars from NAPA AUTO. Another good Idea is that I have a buddy who stripes cars and does custom vinyl on commercial vehicles. He has a perfectly clear vinyl that he cut for me 1 1/2 inch strip the length of my front frame tubes to protect my paint from rock chips. When the vinyl gets nicked up a little i remove the strips and replace with new ones. Kinda like the clear strips they put on rocker panels on new cars.

Back