Paint/plating stripped from frame studs and other fasteners

jbrowning89

jbrowning89
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the middle of a build right now and I've used the information in this forum many times. Thank-you for all the knowledge shared here!

My question focuses on the frame studs like those that are mounts for the top of the rear shocks. I had my frame sand-blasted and powder coated and, as expected, they stripped the paint from the threads on the studs and masked them before coating so now they are bare. I'm worried that these will rust later and that the nuts will become seized.

In the same fashion, I blasted many of the crummy looking fasteners myself thinking I would powder coat the heads, but that still leaves the threads being bare steel. I could replace many of these with new fasteners, but that's not necessarily preferable and isn't a good solution for the studs that are welded into the freshly powder coated frame...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jordan

So for the frame studs I would dust them in with an aerosol paint then use something like a copper slip grease to further protect them. As for the fasteners, I have replaced all of mine with stainless which I've polished up.

Welcome to the site. I would use never-seize on the stud. If you Google it they have several different kinds. Best not to paint the threads.

I use the copper based anti-seize because I feel it shows up better on the threads. You can see when it's wearing thin and needs to be re-applied. The nickel based silver stuff blends with the threads too well and you can hardly see it. Also, coat the entire length plus the ends of bolts and studs, not just the threads. That will give you the rust protection you seek. I feel the use of anti-seize is particularly important on steel screws/bolts going into the alloy cases or parts.

Back