Painters; I need advice, blending a "panel repair"

Your red circle looks like CSM... so yeah... most likely a gel coat.

No bigger than that fairing is Gary, I'd be sorely tempted to just respray the whole thing. I'm guessin' that would be less work in the long run....

bbbbut... noooooooo! LOL scope creep!
This will be a "nice daily driver" but never a show bike, it's spent some time sitting outside.
'sides ride or sell it's not my main squeeze. know what I mean?

Another thing you might want to consider is sanding (feathering) the scratches all the way down to the gelcoat CSM or where they disappear, whichever comes first. Minimize the amount of putty in the repair. That way there's less chance of seeing the 'settling' of the putty showing through the finish. It's always preferable to spray over no scratches than sharp edged... filled scratches. That make sense? :umm:

Last edited:
I would have the primer covering the filler, not sanded so the filler is showing through, if that's what I see. "Primer filler" might be good for filling the scratches and is easy to feather at the edges. Using wet corrugated cardboard as a backing for the paper will keep you keep it all level and will conform to any curve. As for color coat... Depends on how well it has to match. Personally I was satisfied with the first picture :)

THe Honda batwing had some scratch marks on the RH end, got them filled with spot compound, black lacquer primer and sanded. Any "best way"plans to get this gloss black and blended to the rest of the fairing? I have a spray can of gloss black lacquer, thought that might blend well. Not positive what the black is on the fairing but suspect it's gelcoat. I do have an airbrush so could spray black rattle can enamel with that. Ideas, techniques welcome.
View attachment 178469

Hi Gary,
it's a bike, not an art-work fer Chrissake! Fizz it black and see how it looks from ten feet sway.

sanded everything down, mixed black primer with the spot putty to "blacken" it. Applied the putty,
20201108_165217.jpg
went on the camping trip, came back, sanded with 600, hit with a coat of gloss black lacquer,
20201108_193131.jpg
then a second,
20201108_193235.jpg
second coat is still wet in pic. ;)
Morning will tell if it blushed as bad as the photo makes it look.

Pulled the tape, used some rubbing compound. I'm not done yet but it's better.
fairinga.jpg
Got the voltage regulator in the mail today so installed it, then "dried the paint" for 25 miles. It's running very good,charging as it should. She's comfortable too, hmmm.
Today was end of the Indian summer, last warm ride of the year?
indian summer.jpg

Apparently the fairing is a Tsukayu Batwing Classic Fairing
Just the fairing w/ sound system is nearly $1,000 new...

Last edited:
Back