What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
No paint today Pete. Found a few more spots I wanted to touch up. Got those done and Sue came home from work early... go figure. :rolleyes:
She's off again tomorrow so......
I might just have to try and renegotiate this deal she and I have...

20200304_160050.jpg

Looks like you guys Nailed It !
20200129_184006.jpg

Last edited:
Man! That’s purdy! Please remind me what kind of paint that is. Is it a base coat / clear coat ?
Thanks Bob. Yeah... it's a base/clearcoat system. Right now it's got 2 coats of clear. That's so I can work it with 600 or 800 paper, then apply the decals, then 2 to 4 more coats of clear. Finish up with the cut and buff.... phew. :rolleyes:

Hey Jim. I use use a Dynabrade palm buffer like this one. Takes a lot of air to operate this but there`s no chance the 3-5" pad will grab the tank and throw it across the garage. I bought mine over 20 yrs ago and they were pricey then and probably still are. Ideal for motorcycle painting.:thumbsup:
upload_2020-3-4_19-24-9.jpeg

I've watched videos of puttin' on decals 'till my eyes bled. :redface: Finally found a good one... a three parter actually. This kid breaks it down so anyone can do it.

So..... nuttin' for it. Here we go....

LH Decal Pete.jpg

Quick and easy... no bubbles... looks great :smoke:
And now the ugly... dogs were out in the garage with me. I was sanding the second sidecover down to do it. Dogs got to wrestlin' and carryin' on. I got tickled and started eggin' 'em on... and we wuz havin' a grand ole time. Problem was, I kept on sanding while I was watching them... not payin' attention to what I was doin'. Finally looked down.... f&ck me. :yikes:

IMG_20200307_155843.jpg

Crap. Back down to the paint room I goes. :(

And now the ugly... dogs were out in the garage with me. I was sanding the second sidecover down to do it. Dogs got to wrestlin' and carryin' on. I got tickled and started eggin' 'em on... and we wuz havin' a grand ole time. Problem was, I kept on sanding while I was watching them... not payin' attention to what I was doin'. Finally looked down.... f&ck me.
Almost as bad as me when I opened the package that had my new seat cover in it and ruined the new cover.
It is a lot of fun to watch dogs wrassel.

If the paint is a solid color just spot (dust) in the area where you sanded through.:thumbsup:
Yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. Still gotta mix a little clear to go on it though... 'cause it's one of them "delicate" base paints that needs clearing right away.

Last edited:
Man, that hurts! It is so easy to take paint off of sharp edges. I remember this shop I was working at once, the owner of the company brings his late model, very nice pickup in and tells one of the young guys there that he wanted him to wax and buff his truck. The kid got a little careless with the air powered buffer and took all the paint off of the creases on his hood. Oh man the boss was hoppin mad, I thought he was going to fire that poor kid.

Good job on the decals though!

Back