What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
Santa gets here early here too sometimes especially if I need something now rather than a month from now

I pretty much buy when i need it as well except this time of the year i will wait for the after Christmas, (boxing day), sales. get up to 50% off a lot of stuff.........then there's the January sales for more deals

Saw this under a picture of the new 2022 Triumph 1200 Speed Triple and instantly thought about you Jim..

The deep red paint has a high level of finish but will set you back extra.Triumph

Last edited:
Saw this under a picture of the new 2022 Triumph 1200 Speed Twin and instantly thought about you Jim..

The deep red paint has a high level of finish but will set you back extra.Triumph
This one Tom? Yeah... pretty sweet!

5XVUXNEVL5B3NBW52B7V7QATKQ.jpg

Saw this under a picture of the new 2022 Triumph 1200 Speed Triple and instantly thought about you Jim..

The 2022 Speed Twin is one of those bikes that really grabs me. The arrest me red doesn't hurt at all either.

Took the latest 1200 Speed twin for a test ride the other day. It does everything nicely, more upright seating position than my Honda CB1000R, instant torque, the only thing I didnt like is the exhaust sounds alright when you are standing at the back of the bike but when you are riding it, it has a weak popping sound (not on decel), sounds like a 250 single. I will have to wait until next May to take one for a proper test ride. Euro 5 regs have made it harder to modify the exhaust with the cat now having welded pipes on it which makes it more arkward to mess around with.

Painting in a thunderstorm....
3 coats base
3 coats candy
3 coats clear
Good thing is all tornado watches around me have expired... whew.. :)

1648610898440.png

1648610926727.png

Any guesses on the color?
Shining an LED light on it makes it look blueish....

1648611013300.png

Guess we'll need some sunlight for the big reveal.... :sneaky:

OK, holiday season's over.. back to work.
Today I wet sanded the entire tank. We're sanding over a gloss epoxy primer so we want something fairly stiff, but a little more flex to 'em than the wood blocks used for the body work. I like this 3M hard rubber block. It has just enough flex for large area curves.

View attachment 157617

We're wet sanding with 400 paper. Don't remember if I mentioned it before, but I'm also a huge fan of 3M papers. Yeah... they cost a lot more than your Harbor Freight et al papers, but they're a lot more consistent in grain and lasts a whole bunch longer. Ends up being cheaper in the long run. Use the block with light pressure in a circular motion. The idea here is to knock the gloss off the flat sides and top without cutting through the primer. Watch the primer closely. As soon as you see a slight change in color... stop. That means you're about to go through. Now double a small piece of paper and use your hand to do the same with the edges... just knock the gloss off. Use lots of water to keep the tank and paper clean. Clogged paper doesn't work very well.
Once you think you've covered the entire tank, take a clean, wet rag and wipe the entire tank down several times.

View attachment 157619

Once all the water dries, you'll be able to see all the defects. These pics don't really do it justice, they stand out like a sore thumb (toe? :rolleyes: )
For this pic I lightly sanded just the top. As I was sanding I immediately saw them, so I wiped it down and took the pic before I finished the whole tank.

View attachment 157620

You can also see the pinholes in the bondo. Before you re-prime, take an exacto knife and dig into the pinholes just to make sure you're not just scratching the surface and the hole is actually much bigger.

View attachment 157621

If anyone knows how to completely eliminate pinholes... I'm all ears. I always manage to get a few no matter how hard I try not to.:umm: Once you're satisfied it's just a pinhole and not a bubble, give a light sand over 'em to knock off any sharp edges you might have made with the knife. Wipe it down again and when it's dry (or still wet) give it a good blow all over with some shop air.... clean them holes out. Once it's dry, it's time to switch to some fill primer (sometimes referred to as primer surfacer). Give it a couple light coats just on the areas where you have defects to fix. We're just using the fill primer as a base for the glazing putty... we're not actually gonna use it as a filler.

View attachment 157622
Once it's dry, fill in all the imperfections with glazing putty... sometimes referred to as spot putty. One again, I'm sold on the 3M brand. On the tank that's on the SG, I tried to use Bondo brand glazing putty. Trust me, that stuff is horrendous. Since we're dealing with small defects, I cut down a bondo spreader to a more manageable size.

View attachment 157623

As with the bondo, you're gonna overfill all the defects slightly to account for shrinkage as it dries. The glaze is pretty finicky... if you need to add more, let the first coat dry first. Otherwise the first layer will roll up on you making a bigger mess.

View attachment 157627

The putty dries pretty quick in small layers... but I'm in no rush. I'll let it dry overnight and see where we're at. At this point you're kinda on rinse and repeat with the fill primer and glaze 'till all the defects are gone.
i find single pack putty is shit always shrinks. when i use a body filler sand it to shape blow it hard with the air gun exposes all the pinholes. then i use a product from the marine industry its a premixed epxy light weight 2 part filler its a fairing compound smooth as silk easy to sand and dosnt change the shape of the sanded body filler fills holes scratches and any other defects. when i do my hydroplane race boats because there so bloody big i use a plasterers trowl.cheers.

Back