Pamco Advance Rod Bushing Issue

Slaserj

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've read through all the posts about the pamco install, and something still isn't lining up. Almost done installing my pamco, and a little worried about the bushings. There are 3 supplies, but room for 4 on the shaft. Two were installed by me on the right (behind advancer), and one by me on the left (behind Pamco). Now, it appears that there is room for one more on the left. When I tighten the nut on the magnet disk side, it tightens the aluminum magnet disk against the steel of the camshaft (first ring seen inside the hole). I'm assuming this is incorrect, as it completely disables the advance. Is there supposed to be a recess like this? Am I missing a factory part? Note the brass bushing deep inside.

Attachments

• 30124531_1830814550271691_1693138148350993784_n.jpg
    30124531_1830814550271691_1693138148350993784_n.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 207
Right on the money. Read one of those threads, and his measures are the same as mine. Advance rod shoulder sits too close to the end of the camshaft. I’ll try a shimming washer for now, can’t see it harming anything. Got any recommendations for a properly fitting part?

There's advance shafts on eBay, but you never really know whut yer gettin' there.

Me, I'd go with a shim washer. But that's only because it's easy for me, what with all the junk I have out here...

I ended up making a small washer using a punch and a soup can lid. Not the most elegant, but hey, the rod play now is near perfect! To anyone needing to do this in a "non-stocked garage", soup can lid!

Also, I've read a lot of other threads on this now, and it seems that Mike's is slouching on quality a bit. If you see this, please check up on your sources for parts. I'd rather have no part than a part that's aaaaaaalmost right, but not. Shipping was great, and the rest of the parts have been fine, but this one kind of soiled the bunch.

Ask questions first before buying anything.

Being an 81 would have ment you had to buy the advance weights as well, that cost + advance shaft would have gone towards a full Pamco and E-Advance. MikesXS has been a bit suspect on the weights as well...................Full solution would have been to buy the full Pamco and E-advance from Pamcopete's site, and he has a made special advance rod for his Pamco and E-Advance..........http://www.yamahaxs650.com/ .

I know it is t late on this, that's why i suggest a question before buying anything...................

650Skyll, Correct, I purchased all of the parts from MikesXS, including the bushings, rod, and advance assembly + weights. I probably should have gone with the E-Advance, but I found that a little late. Plus, I already had an order ready to go from Mikes with some other stuff. It just irks me that a vendor puts out improperly fitting parts.

Back