PAMCO Ignition System

when you talk about putting a fuse in between coil and ignition module what about for 277 ignition
2 x coils 2 x fuses ?
thanks

Last edited:
2phased,

Well, you could power both coils and PAMCO's from the same 7 1/2 Amp fuse, but then if you had a problem with either of the PAMCO's or coils you would not be able to run the engine on just one cylinder, so a separate fuse per cylinder would be best. If you have a failure on one cylinder, you can at least limp off of the road on the other cylinder.

Just a quick question while your around I havent found on your site or on the web
a good step by step installation guide for the 277 ignition
is there one ?

hi Pete
just to get this correct re wiring for 277 with fuses 7.5 amp do you mean putting fuses between the red and white wire from kill switch and coil
or just the red wires between the coils and the pam ignition
module

Sundie, you mentioned earlier that the guy in the video shouldn't need to hammer in the advance rod but he did bc his bushings were too tight. How do you fix that if your bushings are too tight?

Do the stock coils need to be replaced? I also noticed the the advance weights on the other side were not clicking like on the demo uploaded on you tube. Does that mean I need to remove the whole advance unit and rod to re grease everything or do I need to purchase a new advance system. All help is appreciated.

If you still have the points installed try a different crank location and check the weights again, if the points are on the ramp they affect how the weights 'spring back". But yes it is a good idea to remove, polish, use light grease or oil and reinstall the advance rod

took the rod out and cleaned and greased it. Same damn issue though. I re aligned the the lines on the advance mechanism do I hope this prevents me from having to do the timing. Is that correct or do I have to re time? Is it unseal for the exhaust heads in the front to leak air. I was told the bike should not have an exhaust leak at the front and they should be sealed. I hope u guys can help with my question. Thx y'all.

Anyone know how to actually reach Pamco Pete? I emailed him last week about buying a kit for my '75 XS650, but no response. I used 'pete@yamahaxs650.com' from his website. Is there a better way to contact him, ask a couple questions and make a purchase?

Pete, if you read this, please respond to pdxtomw@comcast.net

Thanks.

I just put my Pamco on this morning. Best thing I ever did for an old bike . I didn't even know what a Pamco was a couple of weeks ago. My bike starts immediately , the starter barley has time to turn before it fires up and it idles smooth. When I twist the throttle there is no lag time , instant power.

I am as happy as a gopher in soft dirt .

About a month ago a I sold a buddy a '77xs650. Wanted to keep it but I was moving across country and didn't want to drag it along. The bike hadn't run, other than the occassional pop for 15 years. Told the buddy that if i could get it popping with the bad points and old coil before I sold it to him that if he added a pamco it should fire right up since I'd already gone through the carb.

So he installed the pamco and I headed over to his place to wire up a very simple harness just to get it running for his mock up. We had it wired and running in under an hour. Started up on the first press of the starter button.

Glad it fired right up thanks to the pamco but wished I would have had the time to do it myself before I sold it. I could have gotten a lot more for the bike. lol.

Sorry to rehash old threads, here are my questions cause I just installed mine in. My auto advance unit did not spring back (the old one) what does that do for my timing?

and I could not get the old bushings out and I didn't want to damage anything, am I ok to use those old bushings or do the brass bushings that came with my kit make it any better?

One last thing, how do I tell on my coils which is positive and which is negative, or where red and green go... Sorry I am a totally new to this. Once that's determined should I solder the wire to the coils? What do you guys do? I bought some bullet connectors to attach the cables.

Thanks guys

1. The spring back test is for a PAMCO installation that does not have the drag of the points rubbing blocks. Remove the points to do the test.
2. You can use the old bushings.
3. Makes no difference.
4. Do not solder the wires to the coil terminals as you may damage the coil.

Anyone know how to actually reach Pamco Pete? I emailed him last week about buying a kit for my '75 XS650, but no response. I used 'pete@yamahaxs650.com' from his website. Is there a better way to contact him, ask a couple questions and make a purchase?

Pete, if you read this, please respond to pdxtomw@comcast.net

Thanks.

Got a little behind in answering my Emails and posts...:eek:... Fire away...:D

IMHO solder the bullet connectors, the wire that comes on the Pamco is thin and a crimp may be a trouble spot later on. The wire size may have changed the Pamco I installed had been kicking around for a while.

Remove clean and buff your advance rod. They are usually all gunked up and not as free as they should be in the bushings Pamco or not this should be a standard maintenance chore at least once on any bike this old. Yeah yeah polish your rod jokes.

IMHO solder the bullet connectors, the wire that comes on the Pamco is thin and a crimp may be a trouble spot later on. The wire size may have changed the Pamco I installed had been kicking around for a while.

Remove clean and buff your advance rod. They are usually all gunked up and not as free as they should be in the bushings Pamco or not this should be a standard maintenance chore at least once on any bike this old. Yeah yeah polish your rod jokes.

mine never came with no wires... I assume I have to attach my cables to these guys
wire_connectors.jpg
then insert them to the coils, and use bullet connectors to attach to the electrical unit. :umm:

cobra technically speaking the pics you posted are SPADE connectors. some of the coils came with spade terminals so yes you would solder the female spade on the pamco wire and you are plug and play. When doing a solder like this, I pull off the colored plastic off the connector and put some heat shrink tube in it's place. Because I was doing a stock bike I made up short bullet to spade jumpers for the +12 so I didn't hack the stock harness.

Back