PAMCO Ignition System

Hey all! Newbie and first-time poster here. I'm hoping one of you can clarify what I have. I just acquired this beast and am thrilled to get it road worthy. I think I have part of a PAMCO system, but I want to make sure. Not pictured are the coils and I just read the post on the DIY napa/radioShack rect/reg replacement, which I am excited to do. Any help with this and where to go next will be much appreciated! THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 300
Hey all! Newbie and first-time poster here. I'm hoping one of you can clarify what I have. I just acquired this beast and am thrilled to get it road worthy. I think I have part of a PAMCO system, but I want to make sure. Not pictured are the coils and I just read the post on the DIY napa/radioShack rect/reg replacement, which I am excited to do. Any help with this and where to go next will be much appreciated! THANKS!

The Pamco ingition is seperate from the charging system. Looks like the stock charging sysyem. The PMA charging system is what i used, the kit came from Mikes XS. Mike's has some good resources in their link section.

Thanks for the response, Mike! It probably is the stock charging system. I plan on tackling that next. As for the ignition system there is a plate where the points used to be, which leads me to believe it has some components of an electronic ignition. It looks like it is missing the circuit board and leads that go back to the coil, but I don't know which system it is and am hoping my fuzzy pic gives enough info.

i thought the wire lead looked like it was missing but wasn't sure. I think you need to figure out whether it had a 90 or 60 degree rotor . PamcoPete comes on the forum so try to PM him and see if you can buy parts or if you have to start over.

To all members:

I am pleased to announce that member XSleo is now an official PAMCO representative. His years of experience with the electrical systems on the XS650 and the PAMCO will be a valuable go to source for anyone who has installed a PAMCO or is thinking of doing so.

To all members:

I am pleased to announce that member XSleo is now an official PAMCO representative. His years of experience with the electrical systems on the XS650 and the PAMCO will be a valuable go to source for anyone who has installed a PAMCO or is thinking of doing so.

Congrats LEO!

I know there are wire diagrams all over and I'm still more of a moron than I thought!!!! Can I get some help with a wire diagram for a 80 xs650G running pma/pamco with new Hall effect no signals no neutral light no kill switch just head(hi and low switch on light)/tail brake light with two step key ignition :shrug:

Sorry about not responding sooner but haven't looked at this thread in awhile. Thanks for your good wishes.
I know Pete's a busy fellow. That's why I'm helping out.
Feel free to pm me here on the forum.
I will do my best to handle as much as I can.
I now have one of his E-advancer ignitions on my 75. It was an easy install. There were a few minor changes to the initial timing, but once I used the timing light all is well.
My engine seems to run smoother, maybe a bit stronger.
The mechanical advancer being mechanical can have fluctuations in timing. Mine did a bit, it fluttered a bit at idle as well as at full advance. With the E-advancer this flutter is gone.
The new feature of the extra retard at low rpms helps kick starting, Especially with the 750 kitted engine. Mine starts well if you kick it well, but since the new ignition it starts even better.
Thanks for your support.
Leo

hey guys completely new at this so sorry if this sounds retarded but i bought a project with a mess of wiring and the guy said it ran but blew a fuse and now wont run even after changing the fuse lol so the ignition box heats up pretty quick with the coil plugged in and key on. i am thinking about just buying the pamco but want to make sure it replces all of these items by the way the engine is a 1980 electronic ignition and what pamco is recomended. thanks for any info

When you do the Pamco it replaces all the TCI parts. They can be removed.
Then depending on what kit you get you install some parts in the cam, install the Pamco, then a few adjustments and your good to go.
Mike's kit #14-0913 $328 Is the kit you want. It replaces everything, even the coil. Gives you the best of the best.
You can assemble the parts needed and use your coil.
Item #14-0903 Pamco with E-advancer $189.95
Item # 14-0650 Advance rod $40
Item #05-0032 Bushes, need 3 so $4.50 x 3 is $13.50
Item # 14-0653 pins. Two come with rod need one more for advance. #1.10.
Total $244.55.
More if you want new plug caps $4 each. If new plug wires, the stock you replace the coil. The wires are part of the coil Any where from $40 up.
So the 244.55 plus the caps and coil is $252.55, a 70 coil is 322.55. Pretty close to the $328 of the kit.
Leo

Well I tried to email Pete with no response. I recently purchased the new ign with advance unit and installed it all fired up great ran for a minute or so. Went to fire next day and nothing no spark or erratic spark because it would pop or sputter every 10 kicks. Everything was transferred from my complete running cafe bike accept the ign and charging 2 different functioning coils, good 12v from a separate source carbs run fantastic on my other bike......it's a bare bones bobber PMA pamco kick only. Put everything back on the other bike fired right up. Think I have a dead unit. Some help would be great.

On the bobber Did you run the bike with just the ignition hooked to a battery while you checked the PMA for proper function? If your PMA system isn't right it can send out voltage spikes in excess of 20 volts. There is a protective device to prevent these spikes from hurting the Pamco for short periods of time but if excessive voltage spikes can hurt the Pamco.
Pete's been unavailable for a short period. He's back now, It may take a few days for him to get things caught up.
Is your an E-advancer? If so with it hooked up check for voltage at the red wire to the e-advancer and the red wire between the e-advancer and sensor plate.
On the ignition website it explains how to test the Pamco with out turning the engine. Have you tried this test with a battery hooked to just the ignition?
Another thing is to ensure all the wiring connections are good.
Leo

It is an Eadvancer unit. Everything is soldered and hooked up properly. I have been a auto/bike mechanic for 23years.

Tested with external battery voltage through the E-advancer(down about one volt from battery voltage) first hookup coil wouldn't stop sparking not turning anything?? Shut off back on couple times nothing no spark. Spin the rotor to trigger and nothing no spark but red has voltage all the way to sensor plate. Ground all the way to sensor plate.

Thanks

Back