Part Compatibility for XS650's

haterade

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

New member here and a happy new owner of a 1972 XS2. This is my first motorcycle, and need some guidance with her. Something to keep in mind is it has an XS1 650 engine in it. I noticed when looking on eBay that the earlier models of parts are a little harder to find than other models, and i am wondering if some of these parts can be interchanged. The bike was mostly complete but did not have the shifter pedal, rear brake pedal and rod. These parts are very easy to find on eBay but finding them for the XS1 and XS2 model is more of a challenge, and there seems to be more price gauging. I was wondering if later models of the XS650 can fit?

I restored my first car and noticed that parts didn't change too much through the years, and i am hoping that is the case with this issue. I realize the frame dimensions are different so the rod length would have to be exact. I have spent some time researching this but figured i would ask you guys, if there are links or databases that show compatibility for XS models that would be great! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Bike 1.jpg
    Bike 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Bike 2.jpg
    Bike 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 239
Instead of writing it out again"here is a link" to a similar question. The same applies to you bike although being an earlier one there will probably be less that interchanges with other Yamahas

Last edited:
Try it again....................And welcome to XS650.com, you will get all the help you need from here. Looks like you have a good bike.

The shifter petal shouldn't be a problem. You can get a new one from http://www.mikesxs.net/product/19-0072.html
But they're likely to be bent a little funny, and you may want to do a little rebending to get it right.
(New shifter on the left, original on the right)

GearShiftB03.jpg

The rear brake linkage parts from '70-'73 (except the very early XS1) are the same, but '74-on they changed, accomodating longer swingarm and different exhaust clearance.

True very few parts from a late model will be a "correct" fit on your 72. Chin up, it's even worse for the 70-71's

Back