Pea Shooter exhaust redux

Having never run a pipe like
07-0047.jpg

I guess my input isn't wanted but I think the maker would be as important as the shape. I would guess you could have that shape and depending on the maker (how it's built inside) it either would or would not restrict RPM.
As recently mentioned on a different thread It's easier to get good flow from a bigger muffler that muffler looks small so good flow might be tough at reasonable sound levels.

PS what do you expect from a guy who bills himself as king of the ass hats?

Well, IIRC the stock Bonnie Burgess-style muffler was shorter on the inlet than the outlet and was a straight-through pack.

I have the Mike's copy and original BSA mufflers and both are far from being restrictive. Both do not require baffles or packing. I have ran both sets on my test stand with good results. I am about a month away before I can road test but I will definitely report the results. TC

Since I owned a Bonnie with those pipes, have seen them on a hundred other scoots and I've been around motorcycles my whole life, I'm willing to bet my "opinion" (based on a fuck-ton of experience) is more than slightly valid.
Why didn't you say that sooner? You could have said that instead of calling me a douchebag.
So you do have something to add that I find interesting. Why the attitude?
Did I piss in your Cornflakes this morning?

And while we are pulling our dicks out, I too have been around bikes my whole life and re-built quite a few different bike over the years.
I just don't see the need for you to take direct shots at me. It doesn't prove anything and just adds friction to what could be a good conversation.
I simply wanted to know if anyone has bought these pipes from Mikes XS and installed them.
As it turns out, someone has and I'll ask them.
In the meantime Teebs YOU are boring me.

I guess my input isn't wanted but I think the maker would be as important as the shape.
gggGary, It's not so much that your input isn't wanted as I'm just trying to connect with someone who has installed these mufflers and get the info.
I have the Mike's copy and original BSA mufflers and both are far from being restrictive.
Thanks TonyC

Do I care if I'm boring you? Do I?

Why didn't I say it sooner? You didn't get an answer you liked in the first five minutes so you copped some attitude. Generally any conversation has a starting point. It doesn't necessarily get to the goods you want right from the first couple of responses to your first friggin post. How about saying hi and introducing yourself like a decent human being? Especially if you're coming around with your hand out. Common courtesy and basic fucking social skills.

You assumed that I didn't know what I was talking about, and posted what basically amounts to "shut up, please." Like a douchebag. Sorry I didn't snap to it and give you all the information you wanted all at once, chief.

And you didn't ask about the ones from Mikes. You posted about an inaccurately named muffler and then a pic asking if anybody had used them, without any specification as to where you were looking. I don't know who manufactures that, Emgo maybe, but there's a fairly good chance Mike's is not the only place you can buy them.

It isn't a pea-shooter, it's sometimes referred to as a Burgess-style or Toga and that style was standard on BSAs and similar ones on Trumps in the '60s. So some people might just say it's a '60s BSA or Triumph muffler. An extremely common style of muffler.

You don't like direct shots, but the indirect kind are OK. Gotcha. :thumbsup:

I have them on my bike.

6.jpg

They were installed by the PO so I can't really compare power. They sure look nicer than the stock ones and I really like the sound they make.

"Has anyone used the style of exhaust that is pictured in the 3rd post?"

Keith, they look just like the exhaust on my 1961 Triumph, (stock), I would say if they are at least 1 1/2" in dia they should be ok. Length can play a part here also..... if they are too long.

Crab Cake...sweet looking system!
I found out a bit more about these mufflers.
If they are the "British" ones, they are most likely straight through with some glass packing.
The ones from Mikes XS are not straight through and have a mechanical baffle.
And, according to Mike, the stock downpipes are not long enough .
In both cases, the centre stand needs modification.
At this point, I have re packed the "Dustall look alike" that came with the bike and they sound great!
Seeing how great Crab Cake's looks, I might consider changing :)
Thanks for the info.

I see this is an old thread, but it still shows up in search engines...

I ran an XS650SE ('US Custom' UK model) for around 10 years. During this time it always has 'pea shooters' fitted. First a set that the previous owner fitted, then one of them rusted a bit and I fitted a new set that were sold as 'Norton Peashooters'. They looked just like the photo posted above by Cooltouch, and had great chrome, I'm pretty sure they were UK aftermarket specialties made for Norton Commandos.

Anyway, the performance of that bike was great. I never had the original Yamaha silencers to compare with, but it pulled like a train, no dead zones in the mid range and maxed out at about 110mph indicated, so I'd say the performance was good.

And of course the exhaust note was gorgeous - loud enough but without being too noisy. Perosnally I think a great note is one that is loud and deep and even spits a bit at low revs but then actually gets a bit quieter and smoother at high revs. Peashooters will give you this.

In summary, I lived with them for many years on an otherwise stock XS650 and they were great.

I see this is an old thread, but it still shows up in search engines...

I ran an XS650SE ('US Custom' UK model) for around 10 years. During this time it always has 'pea shooters' fitted. First a set that the previous owner fitted, then one of them rusted a bit and I fitted a new set that were sold as 'Norton Peashooters'. They looked just like the photo posted above by Cooltouch, and had great chrome, I'm pretty sure they were UK aftermarket specialties made for Norton Commandos.

Anyway, the performance of that bike was great. I never had the original Yamaha silencers to compare with, but it pulled like a train, no dead zones in the mid range and maxed out at about 110mph indicated, so I'd say the performance was good.

And of course the exhaust note was gorgeous - loud enough but without being too noisy. Perosnally I think a great note is one that is loud and deep and even spits a bit at low revs but then actually gets a bit quieter and smoother at high revs. Peashooters will give you this.

In summary, I lived with them for many years on an otherwise stock XS650 and they were great.

Welcome to the site Buccaneer and the useful information given. The peashooter style a great design, perfect for a 650 as you say great mufflers. I have the commando system. The outer appearance shorter reverse cone the inside fixed baffle complements the Head pipes. I'm getting the same results Pulls really strong midrange to past redline. I'm No fan of the Heiden 2into1 system but these are a good performance design. :cheers:

Thanks Scabber for the welcome, nice site 'n glad I found it, the XS650 is hard not to fall in love with eh!

I never liked 2 into 1s purely because the side without a silencer just looks wrong, at least to my eyes, but sure they can perform fine.

I'm back to biking after a 15+ year break, looked for a nice XS650 on ebay over here for 18 months and a few decent ones did come by, but always got beat at the post despite only bidding in the last 10 seconds... oh well! A few weeks ago a nice old XS400 custom came up that was only down the road and being described as a non runner went for a reasonable sum. So that is in the middle of being sorted out. Yes I know it is in no way in the same league as the 650, (180 degree cranks are another thing that just can't ever be quite right) - but it'll get me back on the road for this summer... maybe the right 650 will come along one of these days. Cheers all.

Always great to get back to biking. The XS400 is a nice bike and once sorted it will serve you well. Lots of your fellow countrymen on this site. Perhaps one might help you in your search for a 650. So get sorting and start riding. My first summer back to biking was a fun filled one. You have the same. :thumbsup:

Back