Penetrol

Maurice

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I like the look of bare metal, which is kind of a pain to maintain. I thought I'd share something I have been trying for about a year now and seems to work: penetrol. Just brush it on and it dries hard, clear, smooth and with a bit of shine. If there's rust it turns it dark and stops it, so you can also use it to freeze the slightly rusted surface if you're into that kind of thing.

This is one coat after stripping the paint and sanding the tank with 400/600:

20140909_160605.jpg

20140909_160552.jpg

Believe it or not it looks better in person IMO.

I ride my bike rain or shine, and through quite a bit of the NJ winter which means SALT. Penetrol treated bits actually seem to hold up better than painted ones.

20140909_160647.jpg

The stuff is not very expensive and can be found at home depot, lowes etc. (not affiliated or anything).

Flame away!!

Looking good! you should find and strip an 82 front fender and a painted headlight bucket to match!

Thanks!

Er... Anyone have an 82 front fender, state of paint unimportant? Non-chrome headlight bucket? :D

"Anyone have an 82 front fender, state of paint unimportant? Non-chrome headlight bucket? "

it just so happens..... LOL

prefer to sell that awesome fender in the middle note minor ding. Sure you can't use that paint??? headlight has minor ding too. how about 30 for both plus actual USPS shipping cheap as I can get it done? but you have to post after pics!

timing 007.jpg

timing 008.jpg

timing 009.JPG

Deal. My current headlight also has a ding. Problem with chrome is you can not hammer it out. Unpainted should be no issue.

Thanks!

Back