permanent mag pix

urbandork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well ive had the parts laying around for a long while... I recently went down and my clip ons hit my tank and i busted my speedo and my head light... while the bike still runs and is ride-able i haven't been paying to much attention to her as im still trying to replace the stuff i smashed up.

It was my day off, the sun was out and i figured id give her some attention. Since im still waiting on some replacement parts i decided to start modifying and installing the parts for the permanent mag alt. which ive had since march. Here are the pix.

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

and some of the damage from when i went down. I was heavy on the front brake and hit some raised asphalt around a sewer cover which led to to me going down. I was banged up but ok.

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

trying to just replace the speedo... but finding the color combo is hard... not many green face came with an internal green ring and chrome ring on the outside.

currently looking on ebay but everything is liek 100+ .. for now i have the speedo off and find that i really dont need it, although i still want to replace it and the tank.

Glad to read your okay. The bike can be fixed. You -- maybe not so easy.

About your speedo search, just keep checking back on eBay and be patient. Seems like there are occasional herds of sellers who think they've found gold with their pipe-dream prices, but after not selling anything they tend to fade away and not come back. I've seen this happen time and again and have learned to resist after succumbing to the call a couple of times, afraid I'd never have a shot at another example. When in reality, I learned that by just being patient and biding my time, I was able to pick up the item I needed for a reasonable price.

There are a few exceptions to this, however -- like Radian swingarms. :cussing: But it's the bidders who are causing their high prices, and even patience isn't a cure for that.

Or bypass eBay entirely -- put a wanted note in the FS forum here and over at the Garage.

yeah i hear u there... i just got a replacment tank for 60 shipped so im pretty happy about that.

I think your speedo, tach and there mount came off an RD or RZ from 76 or 77. They were the only bikes to use that triangle shaped light cluster/key switch.

I think your speedo, tach and there mount came off an RD or RZ from 76 or 77. They were the only bikes to use that triangle shaped light cluster/key switch.

O RLY ... wow thats news to me... that explains y im having such a hard time finding them...i only found one set over in the UK

ur the first to ever point this out so thanks man... ive been under the impression that they where stock xs650 gauges. thanks again.

well i was going to replace everything and make everything the same.... BUT ... i decided that this is an opportunity to change things up... look for pix in a few months.

btw im also running a small cigarette box size bat as talked about here

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493

ill take some pix of it later

- use a banshee stator plate or a mrrigs adaptor and screw the stator directly to it..if using the RD-RZ stator and stator plate, you will need an adaptor plate...here is a template

altplate_image.jpg

They are the stock XS650C gauges and where for that year alone so makes them very rare, the Rev counter has 3 lights in the face, high beam neutral, and the third is either brake fail or brake shoe warning light, cant remember which.

That's the VF500 stator plate? Thanks,

John

nope its a banshee stator plate... i got the one that allows you to adjust the ignition timing on the banshee. I used this because it has enough surface area to mount on the xs.

They are the stock XS650C gauges and where for that year alone so makes them very rare, the Rev counter has 3 lights in the face, high beam neutral, and the third is either brake fail or brake shoe warning light, cant remember which.

rare.... new news.... hummm well rare would explain the trouble ive been having finding them... blah

In a recent thread, NJ1639 posted some pics of some ignition mods he'd done, and included some pics of a black-face tach with three lights. He got it off Craigslist, and Skull mentioned he thought it was off an SR500. Here's the thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2167&highlight=lights

So, a three-light tach may not be all that hard to find. And if you've got the later instruments and want the three lights, then this would seem like the way to go.

cooltouch, The 3 light C gauge is hard to find as it has a green face, numbers closer to the center and with a white needle and 2 instrument lights illuminating it, the SR500 has the later Special style gauges with the numbers on the out side of the gauge. Of couse it would fit into the same bracket as i am sure all gauges from 76 on will swap into the brackets up to 85

Gotcha, that's why I made reference to the later (black face) instruments. In fact, now that I know about this, I think I'm gonna start looking for an SR500 tach, cuz I'd just as soon ditch the little light tower between the two gauges on my instrument assembly. And I wouldn't mind adding a voltmeter in its place the way NJ1639 has done.

cool thanks for the pix... humm perhaps ill keep these on the bike seeing as they are rare... rather then taking them off.

Shot myself in the foot :laugh::laugh: looks like you have a bent bracket as well and they can be a bitch to get right so take your time and persevere, I straightened mine using an anvil and hammer

Back