Permanent Volt Meter

vm2.jpg

MM, my bad it's a VDO not a S-W.

Downeaster, thanks for posting that photo, that's a nice arrangement. I like the placement.

Thanks for the complements.

I jigsawed the mount out of a piece of black anodized aluminum I had laying around. The LED in the center is the turn signal indicator that went in when I converted to LED signals. I got rid of the entire indicator pod that used to live between the gauges.

Side note: They guy I sold the bike to works (or did, just quit) for the outfit my daughter is Office Manager for. She says he's beat the living piss out of that poor bike. Ah well, his bike, his money. I'm still loving the FJ!

Thanks for the complements.

Side note: They guy I sold the bike to works (or did, just quit) for the outfit my daughter is Office Manager for. She says he's beat the living piss out of that poor bike. Ah well, his bike, his money. I'm still loving the FJ!

Ah, beat the piss out of it, and he's still making payments? Doesn't sound good. Maybe grab some collateral before the situation turns ugly?

Scott

vm2.jpg

YUP - that's is what I was trying to convey earlier. THAT is the logical spot for a VM at least IMO.

Please forgive me if I missed it earlier - but where did you get that VM DownEaster?

Pete

Thanks!!

I've just ordered one - looks like a nice piece of hardware.

P

Last edited:
vm2.jpg

I went with a VDO too, somewhat similar mounting concept - took out the indicator pod and fabbed a metal bracket to hold the voltmeter. "Old" tech, I guess, but always visible.

Attachments

• Speedo & Tach Remounted.JPG
    Speedo & Tach Remounted.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 157
Looks good Aldo - what does the body of the meter look like (the cylindrical part).

Did you make some sort of shroud to cover it so that road grime and crapola doesn't beat it to death? I've got one of those VDO VMs on the way - but none of the photos show any view other than the face of the meter itself.

Looks good Aldo - what does the body of the meter look like (the cylindrical part).

Did you make some sort of shroud to cover it so that road grime and crapola doesn't beat it to death? I've got one of those VDO VMs on the way - but none of the photos show any view other than the face of the meter itself.
National Cycle Flyscreen does the trick for me now. Some more pic's on my photo album (Redleg's '82 Heritage Special), including one showing the previous windscreen that I used - I think any windscreen would serve the purpose. I mounted the handmade bracket holding the voltmeter to the cut-down Yamaha gage bracket with sleeve-and-grommet technique to minimize vibration but don't think I'd go to that trouble again - it bounces a bit on bumps.

Attachments

• Nat'l Cycle N2543 flyscreen.JPG
    Nat'l Cycle N2543 flyscreen.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Ok here's a dumb question for you guys with the analog gauges...... how do you wire them up ?
I know from my electronic days that to read amps the power must go through the gauge to read the amperage the system pulls
but what we want is a reading on the voltage....
I have 2 analog gauges one is a S&W and the other is of unknown make but I am wondering if I can use them ( amp meaters for monitering car charging) ....
It has been soo long sense I wired one of these in my old trucks and I really can't remember how i did it ! LOL
can I use an amp meter or does it take a voltage meter ?
.....Bob.......

An amp meter and a volt meter are different for sure. An amp meter is very low resistance and a volt meter is very high resistance.
Actually an amp meter has 2 parts...............a shunt and a volt meter. Insert the amp meter in series with the circuit so all current flows through the shunt. The volt meter part is connected across the shunt so that is reads the voltage drop across the shunt, but the meter scale is calibrated in amps.

Its very unlikely that the volt meter part of your amp meter would be suitable for your bike. Obviously the shunt and the volt meter part would have to be physically and electrically separated. However, it might be possible to use series resistors so that the volt meter would work. Then you would have to change the face of the meter from amps to volts. Its really not worth the trouble, because volt meters are not very expensive.

Yep...that's what I figured ! thank you !.... I was ready to attach the amp meter to the console plastic too but glad I didn't now!
i'll just order one of those digital Volt meters and install it in there........one of these days !
thanks RG !
Bob....

I just ordered a digital volt meter from e-bay $4.67 I think it was....
here's the link......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Waterpr...2V-Car-Moto-S93-/161877496449?var=&rmvSB=true
I measured the console insides and it should fit snuggly in there as the box of the Meter is 27mm and the console is 29.5mm so should be no problem.....
..... I gave up on the Amp meter idea ! LOL
.....besides it should look good at night ! LOL
Bob........

That's the one I have in my dash. It works OK so far. My buddy is going to try one in his Special dash. The only possible problem may be the oval window obscuring part of the meter numbers.

Back