Pesky ticking

junkshow

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I've been over all the threads and completed all the tuneup procedures (over and over and over). Yet I cannot get rid of the top end ticking that keeps returning.

The bike runs quiet immediatly after a tune, but once I get it on the freeway it developed a top end tick.

What's the next item or items to check when you've completed all the routine maintinance?

Posted via Mobile

As the engine heats up and the oil gets thinner the ticking often gets more noticeable. When the oil is hot and you're starting after the engine has been off a minutes the ticking is real noticeable until the pump gets oil flowing to the head again. 20w50 is a good weight for most of the year. I set my tappets to .003 and .006 and I make sure the tappet ends aren't too pitted. Don't try to fix it by closing the gap up too much or you might burn an exhaust valve. Which would mean taking the head off.

The valve train is all mechanical. Most cars have hydraulic valve lifters so valve train is damped by the hydraulic valve lifters.
Our valve have no hydraulic involved so the clearance between the valves and adjusters lets them come apart and come back together. When this happens you get the tick. You can tighten the adjustment till you get no tick but this will not let the valves close. This leads to poor running as well as burnt valves.
This is why there is an old saying, better to here them than smell them.
Leo

Thanks for the reply's fellas. I am aware that there will be some ticking, my other bike is a '73 CB500 and it sounds like an angry sewing machine.

But my concern is after the tune with the valves set to speck, the ticking is what I would consider normal. However, after I get after it on the freeway, the ticking is considerably more pronounced. Particularly on the right side.

:banghead:

Points? Pamco with standard type advance on the right side? If so, listen to the right side cam cover with a stethoscope or screwdriver.

Just a thought.

You'll get it. . I still pay close attention to all the sounds and vibrations mine makes. I think im a bit neurotic about it.

After I ride one of my other bikes I always get on my XS and thing "holy shit this thing is gonna come apart".

They are just noisy by nature....maybe find another XS owner that will listen and give you advice.

.....wanna hear something noisy....I owned a old opposed twin BMW.....not a tick, more of a solid clack.....lol.

I have this annoying noise from the headlight (stock '78), sounds just like engine ticking. For some time I thought it was coming from the engine and got a bit concerned, until one day I put my hand on the headlight while riding... I've tried using electrical tape in there and it works for a while but seems to return eventually. Knowing where it's from does make it better though, if I want to listen to the engine I'll push on the headlight a bit...

I have this annoying noise from the headlight (stock '78), sounds just like engine ticking. For some time I thought it was coming from the engine and got a bit concerned, until one day I put my hand on the headlight while riding... I've tried using electrical tape in there and it works for a while but seems to return eventually. Knowing where it's from does make it better though, if I want to listen to the engine I'll push on the headlight a bit...
Yeah, I had the same problem with my '81- headlight would rattle like a SOB as the RPM increased. I mostly fixed it… I took dual-barb, hollow rubber weatherstripping (like you have around the doors in your house) and carefully fitted it into the small space between the headlamp glass and the case. I say "mostly fixed" because it still rattles a bit, but it's WAY better now. Looks cool, too, as it adds another bit of dimension to the headlamp.

As for the rattle this post is about, who knows, man. I think we've all been in that boat with these bikes, where you do a bunch of work in the right order, following the manual and such, and 2 days later the same damn noise makes you crazy. I'm with Evanmore XS on this… I think we might all just be neurotic (which is good, right? RIGHT??)

Hi, you also need to check your cam chain tenisener for the little copper washer. The washer helps deaden the cam chain bounce, rebound.
I had a similar issue, until I added the washer,which was made from 1 cent piece.

Back