Petcock sealant?

barelycompetent

81 XS650 Special
Reaction score
Hey quick question for you all. I recently had my tank repainted, and my painter did tape over where the petcock screws in. Im going to replace the internal tank filter/straw, and the gasket itself, but Im wondering if I need to put any type of sealant around the gasket when I screw the petcock back on? If so is there anything in particular that you guys recommend? Something fuel resistant? Or do I just screw that bad boy back on the tank and make sure its tight, no sealant needed? Thanks in advance!

They make tape designed to be used with petro products. P tex also makes paste that is for use around fuel. I would tighten the P-cock in there, go. It shouldn't leak, as it is pipe thread, is under no pressure.

Are you talking about a stock tank and stock petcock? On my tanks and petcocks, they seal to the tank with an o-ring. The mount screws have fiber washers to add an extra seal if the o-ring leaks. If the o-ring is in good shape you shouldn't need any sealer.
Leo

If you mean a Harley-type petcock, there are two types. One is just like any pipe fitting, and you use Teflon tape or a Teflon-containing or a PTFE-containing paste sealant.
The other type has a bunch of parts, one end is reverse-threaded, and you do NOT use tape or sealant with this type of petcock.

Are you talking about a stock tank and stock petcock? On my tanks and petcocks, they seal to the tank with an o-ring. The mount screws have fiber washers to add an extra seal if the o-ring leaks. If the o-ring is in good shape you shouldn't need any sealer.
Leo

Sorry Leo, I should have mentioned that. Yes its a stock tank and stock petcock. So no sealant is needed then I take it. I ordered a new filter screen and o ring for it, so once those come in I can slap them on and fingers crossed they dont leak lol. Thanks for the replies, wasnt sure as it looks like there may have been a touch of sealant on the gasket when I took it off, but I could be mistaken.

A new o-ring/gasket is always a good idea. I like to sand the tank surface and be sure there are no "rough spots". No sealer just the rubber on steel. Yes the bolt gaskets need to be in good shape or replaced also. They need to seal even if the oring is perfect. If it has the gasket with the two extra bars and I don't have a new one, an oring without those legs will work just fine. A round o-ring can be a bit of a struggle to keep in the "race track" groove while installing. Get it all in place start to tighten the screws and finish pushing the oring in place with a screwdriver or stiff wire, it will pop right in the groove, then finish tightening the screws. I always use a new petock selector seal and polish the sealing surface on the back of the selector. One of those do it now or do it a again in a bit deals.

It may have had sealer on it when it came apart. It might have seeped a bit and a po just slapped some sealer in there instead of replacing the o-ring. A dab of grease may help hold the o-ring in the groove.
Leo

I suspect it was a touch of sealant on there because as I dig further into this bike I find the PO used sealant on ALOT of things, like the carb bowls, which are now sealed shut, possibly the tank petcock, and possibly other things I havent found yet. Im going to clean the surface as suggested, replace the o ring gasket, and cross my fingers it doesnt leak all over my fresh paint lol. Thanks for the replies, its appreciated.

Check the tank after the pet cock is in with some air. You will know if it is going to leak.

Back