full

And the Butterfly Nebula
full

And Scattered Light from the Boomerang Nebula
full

And last but not least Rainbow Image of the Egg Nebula
full

these images are from the Hubble Images Gallery and there are many more

Some men are the "jack of all trades" but, I had no idea you were a fricken astronaut too:)

I read an article about how NASA enhances those kinds of photos, particularly color-wise, to increase their appeal to the public. That pisses me off because I want to know what the sonofabitches really look like.

NASA don't enhance the color they give it color. Different gasses are allocated a color to give it form so we can grasp the definitions of the explosions and the effect it has on the surrounding gasses.

Every time you see a fire ball in a TV space series it is for effect. may be some initial flame inside a craft but it would soon be dispersed into the vacuum of space. No oxygen = no flame

No, there is color but it's changed. What you're seeing there doesn't correlate to fireballs. It's various physical effects. I reinterate we should prefer to see the sonofabitches the way they really appear. Better than what any human artist can cook up, I would say.

People can't see in the infrared or ultraviolet spectrum but instruments can pick up all sorts of electromagnetic radiation. NASA converts that info into color so we puny humans can "see" what otherwise cannot be observed. They also enhance faint colors into more vivid hues to dazzle us.

If you want to see what it "really looks like" look up at night. otherwise you have to use "scientific enhancements". At night your room is really dark unless the "color enhancers" are switched on.
Great pics any 3D trips through some of those features?

There's a really cool astronomical thing on youtube, if I can find it again.

Here's what I was talking about a second ago. It's pretty good, with interesting info such as after you leave the Milky Way what you see is clusters rather than individual stars. Best to watch it with the sound off.

Was there wxjm, then went on to the universe is a hologram video but that might be religious so discussion is not allowed.

Some great pics and vids.

The concept of nothing being there, (as in to see), doesn't sit well with our imagination. Infinite space, or as we can see it, finite, is such an alien concept for a large mass of us. There is a theory that an expanding universe will tear itself apart and disappear into nothingness again, similar to before the big bang theory.

A LINK to a NASA video with enhanced affects of a black hole and what can be seen without any enhancement

Seems we may have to give up trying to travel at the speed of light and find another way to get there. Bloody Aussie trouble making scientists.
http://www.popsci.com.au/science/flying-faster-than-the-speed-of-light-could-create-deadly-explosions-on-arrival

gggGary, I don't think you can discuss this kind of thing at all, beyond just admiring the pretty pictures, without involving religion. A non-religious position here is in fact a position in support of materialism; a religious position.

You might as well put up pictures of the election and say discuss them without discussing politics. All you can do is talk about the handsome pictures of the candidates. Pretty freakish.

So - ban cosmic threads :)

Last edited:
1; I don't think you can discuss this kind of thing at all, without involving religion.

2; A non-religious position here is in fact a position in support of materialism; a religious position.

1; I don't agree, the discussion doesn't have to involve religion. A belief shouldn't stop the search for knowledge and truth.

2;Not true. A non religious view doesn't constitute support for materialism although materialism is a religious per-suite

Oxford dictionary; Treated or regarded with a devotion and scrupulousness appropriate to worship: I have a religious aversion to reading manuals.

Ban the site, it contravenes the rules due to the religious pursuit of the XS650 :D

The amount of information that is coming together from the space probes and telescopes are answering some questions and giving us an opportunity to learn so much more.

Last edited:
Great pics/vids..
I love science & astronomy - Im not a believer of superstition or make believe

Back