Places to build.....

Just posted this in another thread but I guess it fits here too. I work in front of my house in my "yard" not much room but I do what I can there as long as the sun holds out. Kids were helping me that day.

img2091dl.jpg

Photos/Link required my friend. Make us all jealous and congratulations! :cheers:
I still don't have a closing date for the house... These things go pretty slow now.. after the realestate market crashed. But here's a couple of pics I took when we had the inspection. We project being able to move in in mid August.
2012-06-12_09-50-50_698.jpg

2012-06-12_09-55-16_486.jpg

Workshop.jpg

Grepper, it looks like the garage has an attached mother-in-law apartment? Office? Very nice, regardless!

I've done the carburetor re-assembly on the kitchen table thing, but the one that sticks in my mind is being kicked out of a very nice apartment because my '72 Triumph Daytona was tucked away along one wall of the living room. I wasn't working on it, I just didn't want it to be stolen. There was zero oil in the crankcase, zero fuel (or fuel odor) in the tank, etc. I could NOT convince my landlady that it was no different than having a bicycle in the apartment, and that it would most certainly have been stolen if moved outside. I was not even allowed the chance to rectify the situation by moving the bike to a storage facility. I was kicked out. No arguing. No appeal. It was a water-view apartment, too. More than 30 years later, I'm still not-so-mellow about that incident.

Grepper, it looks like the garage has an attached mother-in-law apartment? Office? Very nice, regardless!

One of the stalls is walled off into an office, with heat and A/C. That will be nice cause in my old work shop, I would stop using it when temps got below 15 or above 95. The nice thing is that it's an additional garage. There's already a two car garage and a garden shed near the house. I'll be able to use power tools at night w/o waking everyone up.

Congrats Grepper, sounds like a real nice place!

Building (?)...man...storage units w/ no electricity (still), 3rd floor apartment (still), basement apartment, flakey girlfriend's garage (trying ta get out of there)...stuff like that.

We are finally all moved into our new house, and now I'm setting up my workshop.

I got married just over a year ago. Before that I had a house with a little 10X6 workshop. There I did my first 3 builds/restores. Then I moved in my wife's little larger house, but with only a 1 car garage that had little room to work. Last winter I rebuilt an engine in the corner of the laundry room. Late summer we finally closed on our dream house. A log home on 10 acres. My favorite part was an additional 3 1/2 car garage. 1 1/2 stalls walled off with heat and AC, the other two for storage.
2012-06-12_09-50-50_698.jpg

The previous owner used it as an office for a home business.
Office.jpg

The counter was not very sturdy, was too high to be a good work bench, and was built with a 4 inch gap behind it. No Good. The first project was to build a dog run on the back of the garden shed.
2012-08-31_18-07-17_91.jpg

The boxes are unpacked, pictures hung, and the Red Rocket has a new home.
2012-08-24_09-47-36_567.jpg

Now I can get my workshop sorted out. I disassembled the old counters/bench and reused a lot of the material to start building a proper work bench.
2012-11-10_09-44-05_685.jpg

2012-11-10_09-43-48_887.jpg

First bench almost done, ahh that's a much better work area.
2012-11-10_12-46-06_383.jpg

Bench #2
2012-11-10_13-54-51_245.jpg

My son came out and I told him he could use the scrap to build whatever. He built a bird house and a chair.
2012-11-11_13-57-13_834.jpg

I put doors under the first work bench so my tools could be stored without getting crap all over them. Plus I had the wood.
2012-11-12_15-17-57_57.jpg

Now, starting on some overhead shelves.
2012-11-15_20-42-09_337.jpg

2012-11-15_20-42-22_628.jpg

My wife stopped in to check out my progress and snapped a shot of me working on the shelves.
2012-11-15_21-19-54_258.jpg

And now some over bench lighting
2012-11-15_22-33-26_639.jpg

I'm keeping the desk in there so I have a nice place to sit and do electrical work.
2012-11-15_22-33-45_700.jpg

I have a huge tack board to hang, so I can have a collection of inspiration pictures.
2012-11-15_22-34-05_245.jpg

A workshop wouldn't be complete without a mini-fidge full of beer.
2012-11-15_22-36-02_209.jpg

Now I just need to bolt in my vice and bench grinders and I'll be ready to start building again. I want to do some rewiring on the Red Rocket, a chopper to finish and I have a CB750 to restore.
2012-11-15_22-34-36_552.jpg

Future plans include a much bigger air compressor and wire 220 for a welder.

Nice, Grepper!

Roughly where in Michigan? I grew up west of St. Johns a ways.

We are in Lowell, about 40 miles East of St. Johns along M21. Before that was in Ionia, and before that Portland. I keep moving West. St. Johns is nice. There's a fairly new custom motorcycle shop in St. Johns called do you have wifi n a cot ?:laugh:[/QUOTE]
WiFi Yes, There's an Air Matress with the camping gear

We are in Lowell, about 40 miles East of St. Johns along M21. Before that was in Ionia, and before that Portland. I keep moving West. St. Johns is nice. There's a fairly new custom motorcycle shop in St. Johns called Hammer in Hand. Great couple of guys who are true craftsmen.

I can't thank my wife enough. We looked at over 20 houses before we found this one. For her, me having a proper workshop was just as important as her having enough closet space for her shoes. She knows I maintain my sanity by turning wrenches while she does yoga.

Know the area well, used to cruise downtown Ionia back in the day.

That shop on State Street sounds great! Tentative plan is to take a road trip to Michigan this coming summer, I have a brother in St. Johns, another in the Mt. Pleasant area. I'll have to stop by the shop just for grins.

hi guys,,,,, a few years ago in orbost ,,,australia,,,, i had my 1980 gs1000e,,,, all in bits and in boxes in the walk in wardrobe ,,,,and it all stayed in there for 6 months ,,, then i put down 2 white double ded sheets in the rear family room and got all the boxed parts out and started building the gs1000e up ,,, it took 3 months but was worth it ,,,then i put some petrol in the tank .got it started and rode it thruogh the front door and around the drive into my huge garage i did have at that time .. while my gs1000e was being built in the family room it did upset people that came to my home,,, rewgards oldbiker

Back